Show Navigation Menu

Pets

More
14 years 2 months ago #15935 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Pets
Yeah, it's pretty sad, some of the things people will do to animals. They're made the way they're made... if you don't like it, then don't get that kind of animal!

OctoberRust, do your fish fight with each other, or do you have them in separate tanks? We had one in an office I worked in, but only one because the person who was kind of in charge of them said we shouldn't have two.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #15946 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Pets
Morgana wrote:

OctoberRust, do your fish fight with each other, or do you have them in separate tanks? We had one in an office I worked in, but only one because the person who was kind of in charge of them said we shouldn't have two.

Male bettas can't be housed together as they will attack each other. You can put a mirror in a tank with a male betta and it will attack its own reflection. Female bettas can be a bit aggressive till they make a packing order but you can easily house them together. Males are very territorial and will chase away the female after mating as the females eat the eggs for which the male cares for (the male makes a bubble nest and repairs it during the incubation of the eggs).

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15951 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Pets
I love it, Captain Slappy! Funny! My nephew had a betta, and it was crazy if you put it in front of a mirror. He would attack it until he would have harmed himself against the side of the bowl. Really disturbing. I didn't realize that the males cared for the eggs, and that a female would eat her own eggs if the male didn't defend them! Strange!

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #15974 by Madam_Mim
Replied by Madam_Mim on topic Re:Pets
Here in Denmark it's commen practie in conventional farming to de-horn cows - it's something about space(more cows in less space)= more money to the farmer :angry:
In organic farming is not allowed, so we buy only organic meat and vegetables for the matter.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Madam_Mim.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #15975 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Pets
scootiebee wrote:

I didn't realize that the males cared for the eggs, and that a female would eat her own eggs if the male didn't defend them! Strange!

That's new to me too. :P I wonder if there's a video of it on YouTube..Curious about this 'bubble nest'. Up until now, I only knew that male ..Seahorses? Looked after their young..I think..

Are there many more creatures where the male takes responsibility for the young?

Aah..That's so strange! Do the eggs just..Float in the bubbles then? :blink:
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Envy.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #15980 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Pets
Envy wrote:

Aah..That's so strange! Do the eggs just..Float in the bubbles then? :blink:

Yes, they float. The eggs can also fall out of the nest and the male betta will retrieve them. That's also the reason why he has to be with the eggs to make new bubbles for the nest.

Other animal super dads: Giant Water Bug, Sticklebacks (a type of fish), Panamanian Poison-Arrow frog, Deer Mice, Emperor Penguins, Spotted Sandpipers (bird), Red Fox...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by black_magnolia.

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds