Show Navigation Menu

Tattoos, piercings, body art...

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #28550 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: Eyebrow piercing
Firstly, I doubt \"The Order of Algoth\" is a recognised religion. I believe you need 10,000 people to say it is their religion for it to be recognised. (Side note: Jedi is a recognised religion, amusingly).

Secondly, if it is against the company's rules you either need to remove it or find a job elsewhere. You are not being victimised, it is a genuine complaint your company can have against how you present yourself. I believe some places can refused to hire you if you are male based on hair length. You can be refused employment based on visible tattoos or if they can be covered up, you can be told to cover it up during hours which you work.

People are generally okay with ear piercings, depending on what they are, as most people usually don't go overboard with them.

So yes, if the big guy in charge doesn't like a purely cosmetic item such as that as it presents a bad image for the company, you can be told to remove it.

EDIT: I must add though, that number I put may not be accurate, it is only something I remember being told and is based on the UK.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Kuroboshi. Reason: More information added.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #28553 by countessametallic
Oh Dear! Ask them if they will accept a clear little Barbell peircing instead and cover it with Nude face forming special effects makeup if it's not professional pleasing to them enough.

All is Askew, In their Rotted point of view~by Me.

More
13 years 4 months ago #28554 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Eyebrow piercing
Topic should've been addressed in an existing thread, not in a new one, if I recall correctly..

What Kuroboshi said is pretty much the case. Victimisation is something completely different to image. If you work for a company, as long as you are either wearing their uniform or under their duty of care (e.g. during work-time hours) then you are basically a representative of them/their brand, so they can tell you to 'clean up your image' basically.

A friend of mine was even told she couldn't use vulgar language or joke with her friends on Facebook because she worked for 'New Look' which was listed somewhere on her FB page. She had to either remove the fact she worked for 'New Look' or stop joking with her friends.

*Shrug* This is all based on the UK anyway.

More
13 years 4 months ago #28559 by black_magnolia
WOW! Two threads about piercings opened in on day! It really must be \"my\" day! :woohoo: :angry: :woohoo:

Reaper, as Envy and Kuroboshi said, it's best that you take out the piercing if you want to keep that job. Labour law is somewhat different from country to country, so I can't tell you anything specific for your situation because I'm not that familiar with US law.
If the problem is only during the time at work, you may consider removing the piercing during work and putting it back in after work. Depends on how fast your body closes your piercing holes. One of my friends can't put her jewellery back in if she removes the piercing for a couple of hours.

If it was a company rule then you wouldn't have got that job there in the first place with your piercing, or they would have told you in the beginning that you have to remove it. Also, I'm pretty sure that such company rules would surely apply to visible tattoos, so if they let your collogues show their tattoos, then it could be a case of victimisation if they don't let you have your piercing...
If you want to fight for your eyebrow piercing, then consider consulting yourself with a lawyer.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #28561 by King Pete
I currently have my lobes pierced on both ears, and my septum pierced. i also have a pentagram tattood on the top of my right arm. i have plans to extend the tattoo on my right arm, starting by getting a skull tattood around it, with the pentagram resting on the forhead of the skull. depending on how that works out, i may also get a spine tattood starting at the base of the skull, and wrapping round my arm down to my wrist. i also want a pin-up style vampire lady sat on a throne made of bones on my calf.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by King Pete.

More
13 years 4 months ago #28563 by Kuroboshi
Okay, I've checked with an American I know so I'm able to shed more light on Reaper's problem.

Companies are allowed to have a dress/appearance code, so Reaper, there is nothing you can do that will allow you to keep the piercing in whilst working.

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds