Show Navigation Menu

Ebay

More
12 years 10 months ago #33684 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Ebay
Envy wrote:

plus because it only pops up after first bid, it could encourage earlier bidding/higher end price.

Oh, I didn't know that! :huh: But I don't really think it will change that much in the end...
People who usually start bidding early, will continue to do that, and those who wait for the last seconds will also keep doing that, so there won't be a lot of difference in my opinion.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #33716 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Ebay
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

plus because it only pops up after first bid, it could encourage earlier bidding/higher end price.

Oh, I didn't know that! :huh: But I don't really think it will change that much in the end...
People who usually start bidding early, will continue to do that, and those who wait for the last seconds will also keep doing that, so there won't be a lot of difference in my opinion.

Hmm..I don't know. I'm a last-second bidder and already, I can see that I can easily take advantage by bidding sometime during the day, leaving that pop-up box open and then bidding again at 1 second..And I know I'm unlikely to be the only person thinking that.

I reckon it's sneaky yet clever..I can be pretty sure that lots of people have been 'sniped' in auctions (I was beaten by half a second or so once - I checked the times of bids after auction ended and was raather gutted!) so introducing that new box would make people think: Hey! Revenge time! Now I can bid at 1 second! - But in order to do that, you have to bid at least once for that box to come up..And that makes the overall price higher and eBay revenues higher..

That's my theory on it anyway. :woohoo:
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Envy.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34155 by black_magnolia
Has anyone ever not received their item? I'm just interested in how you handled it, because this is the first time I have such a case. :S

Paid on June 12th, item sent on the 13th and still hasn't arrived; while other item sent on the 16th also from the UK arrived (and passed customs) on the 24th while the 22nd & 23th were public holidays here in Croatia, so I don't think the mail is just slow... :huh:

Well, I contacted the seller who promised to get back to me when he hears from Royal Mail. I figure I'm going to wait and see what happens. I'll go through the resolution centre if the seller is unwilling to sort it out...

:(

And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34169 by Envy
Ahh I've had it both ways - Not received an item a few times due to sellers either lying and basically not being happy with how cheap an item ended at or actually posting and getting it lost in the mail, and one time an item of ours was lost by Royal Mail.

Brilliant if it does get lost and you're the sender, because you get an automatic amount of money as compensation which is usually enough to cover the cost of the postage, the item and still have enough to treat yourself with something. :P (We had something worth about 3 GBP lost in the post, compensation was 32 GBP I seem to recall)

Pretty much the best thing to do is firstly contact the seller, as you have done - See what they can do about finding the item, because then they can get the compensation for the loss and refund you from that.

If they refuse to refund, you'll have to start a case through PayPal. :)

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #34174 by black_magnolia
Sounds brilliant! :woohoo: Although I would have rather had the item then the refund, but if they lost it then it just wasn't meant to be. I won Alchemy's discontinued Bats in the Belfry goblet for 25 pounds so you can imagine how sad I am that I won't get it now... :(

btw. How long did you have to wait for the refund from Royal Mail?

And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34177 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Sounds brilliant! :woohoo: Although I would have rather had the item then the refund, but if they lost it then it just wasn't meant to be. I won Alchemy's discontinued Bats in the Belfry goblet for 25 pounds so you can imagine how sad I am that I won't get it now... :(

btw. How long did you have to wait for the refund from Royal Mail?

:ohmy: Such a pretty item!

Hm..I can't quite recall, but it wasn't very long at all. A couple of days at most, maybe? When you post something by recorded mail (as eBay suggests), you should get a receipt which has a little code on it to track your item, and all you have to do is quote the tracking number and the parcel should be located.

I think recorded mail is required for seller PayPal protection, though I seem to recall my mother said you can get a receipt as proof of postage even if you don't use recorded mail which works in a similar way, though I'm not too sure about the details of that and whether you can get compensation as easy/if at all from Royal Mail. I don't generally pay much attention to my mother. :whistle:

Ignoring the latter, I'd presume an item worth as much as that would have been sent by recorded mail anyway, so I'm pretty sure the seller would be able to track it down.

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds