Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 5 months ago #27357 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
black_magnolia wrote:

Morgana wrote:

This has been in the news here recently...

A couple in their 70s won over $11 million dollars in the lottery, and they've given all of it away... some to family, and also to various charities and other worthy causes. They said they didn't need it, and were happy to be able to make a difference by sharing it.

thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1210191.html

Wow! That's so kind of them! :)

Agreed! It's nice to see things like that happening..:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #27469 by Envy
Well..Don't know if this has reached others yet, but it's all the talk here right now:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11726822

The student protest against the rise in tuition fees..

If I wasn't so short and if I was a year older, I would've been there.

More
13 years 5 months ago #27514 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

Well..Don't know if this has reached others yet, but it's all the talk here right now:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11726822

The student protest against the rise in tuition fees..

If I wasn't so short and if I was a year older, I would've been there.

That was in the news yesterday! I was shocked how brutal some stuff looked! :ohmy:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 5 months ago #27515 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

That was in the news yesterday! I was shocked how brutal some stuff looked! :ohmy:

Mm I'm just really annoyed at the typical media response. I heard that at times, the media were goading the minority, who wanted to start a riot, into breaking into the Tory building. It's so obviously staged - One of the pictures I saw was of a Chav kicking in a window, with a whole RING of media photographers surrounding and taking a shot of him.

There it is..

As expected - The following day, the media makes a huge deal about the riot part, making students and people of my age group look bad. The minority who wrecked the place really ruined the message the students were trying to send.

More
13 years 5 months ago #27569 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
Someone was caught on video, stealing the Remembrance Day poppy money from a local coffee shop. The staff say there was probably only $10 or so in it, but people are still very upset about it. The money collected goes to support veterans and their families, and I can't imagine what would possess anyone to steal it... just because it's there, I guess.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #27591 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: What's in the news?
Going along the lines of the tuition fees increase... www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11732787

I'm going to try ignore my urge to put a lot of insulting remarks here but I must say that this disgusts me. Especially a certain part.
\"Mr Clegg said the government had come up with a \"fair and progressive solution to a very difficult problem\".

\"The proposals we have put forward will mean that those who earn the least will pay much less than they do at the moment, those who earn the most will pay over the odds to provide a subsidy to allow people from poor backgrounds to go to university,\" he said.\"

No, I do not agree with this in any form. Why should those who come from families who earn more have to essentially help pay for other, poorer, students? I don't see that as fair, I see it as unfair on those who come from a better background.

Yeah, I'd likely benefit from this if it came into action, perhaps not having to pay the most, however, it disgusts me that others should be expected to pay more so others can pay less. That is a terrible system. Sure, the one now is not perfect but it is certainly preferable.

Envy, it wouldn't surprise me if the media was goading the minority. In fact, I remember the vague details of something I was told once, that the media would, at times, basically pay people to cause trouble just to get a story.

In fact, I remember we had to watch an episode of \"Newswipe with Charlie Brooker\" which showed how news stories would be mis-interpreted completely just because it helps to sell a story and how they (the media in general) will focus on all the negative actions of the people even if it is not in as large a scale as they would have you believe.

I've likely said this before, however, the media in general is designed to entertain and inform. Hearing about riots and such is a hell of a lot more interesting to the public in general than a peaceful protest any day. Yeah, everyone says how terrible it is and so on...But it gets their attention.

Morgana, it's sickening that someone would steal money from any kind of charity. The amount doesn't matter, just the fact someone could do that.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Kuroboshi.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds