Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 9 months ago #23377 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:What's in the news?
Envy, I've seen hoodies like that around here as well. They look kinda cool, but I can imagine a clerk in a store being pretty nervous if someone, or a group of people, came in at night wearing them. On Hallowe'en here most stores, coffee shops, etc., won't let people in at all with their masks on, for security purposes.

black_magnolia, I've heard that as well, that the burka isn't actually required as part of the religion, and is used more as a control thing by the men. Interesting point though, about a man looking to cause trouble and wearing one as a diguise... that had never even occurred to me.

I've seen lots of women around here wearing the \"head scarves\" (sorry, I'm not sure of the correct term), but I've never seen anyone in a full burka. If someone really does want to wear it then I don't see why they shouldn't, except as previously mentioned in cases where their ID needs to be verified. I think it would be terribly hot and uncomfortable in this weather though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23386 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:What's in the news?
Morgana wrote:

I think it would be terribly hot and uncomfortable in this weather though.

Ooh I don't know about that. I'd have to give it a go to see really, but I have black hair naturally and I end up looking down a lot when the sun's out so that my hair gets hit by the light and not my skin. It actually keeps my skin quite cool as a result.

I'm reminded by the aloe topic we were talking about on the..Gardening? Weather? thread..There was something in the local news here about an aloe drink that's made two women collapse. :S

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-10667788

More
13 years 9 months ago #23415 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:What's in the news?
I didn't even know they made drinks with aloe vera. I've only ever used it on my skin, which does work, but I can't imagine drinking the stuff!

More
13 years 9 months ago #23417 by Envy
Morgana wrote:

I didn't even know they made drinks with aloe vera. I've only ever used it on my skin, which does work, but I can't imagine drinking the stuff!

:P Oh, I've had a few aloe drinks before. There's one Chinese drink which is brilliant to keep your throat cool and uses bits of aloe. It creates a very interesting texture. I know some aloe is used for some Chinese jelly sweets too.

But yes, that news report really made me nervous. We don't usually buy aloe drinks like that, but being in Leicester, I have a good idea of what shops would've stocked it and I know my little brother might've been attracted to trying it. He has a curiosity for strange foods and drinks. Very unnerving.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24310 by black_magnolia
Has anybody noticed in the news how France is deporting Romani people (gypsies) back to their countries of origin? I hope that France is following EU laws with the deportation, in that case I don't agree with the big media attention, but if they are forcing the deportation I hope that there will be consequences for France...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24319 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Has anybody noticed in the news how France is deporting Romani people (gypsies) back to their countries of origin? I hope that France is following EU laws with the deportation, in that case I don't agree with the big media attention, but if they are forcing the deportation I hope that there will be consequences for France...

I haven't heard that, but I heard a load of uproar about a mosque being built in the US and Americans being against it or something?

I view that as quite racist, regardless of how they view it as offensive to..9/11 victims? Or something..But yeah..Not my country..So..I'll ignore it before I get annoyed.

Most of today - I was surrounded by depressing news about grade statistics and university places..As it was results day today. The new 'A*' grade hasn't made any difference at all. It's just taken the place of the old 'A' grade as far as statistics go.

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds