Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
12 years 10 months ago #33448 by black_magnolia
Everybody here is talking about the pope's visit to Zagreb tomorrow. It's getting quite annoying.
I'm just looking forward when he leaves and everything returns to normal.

I don't know if they ever made such a big fuss about security for anyone in the past. I caught myself watching a police helicopter circling above the city centre scouting (?) the location and probably just showing presence. Already today there was a ton of police in the centre, posted like every 50 meters.

I'll try not to leave my apartment for the weekend in an effort to avoid everything. :P

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34138 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
Phone-hacking media scandals..It's pretty disgusting. I'm surprised they've not kicked our PM out of office due to it..

The whole phone-hacking thing by the media never really bothered the public before because it was just for celebrities - But now it's arised that tons of phones belonging to relatives of deceased soldiers, bombing victims and missing children have been hacked and listened in to. :huh: Supposedly the guy who may have ordered tons of these hackings was appointed by our PM and is currently director of communications or something (don't quote me on that, but he's got a position in government).

Ugh. As it is, we as a family refuse to buy any media ultimately owned by Murdoch apart from Thursday Times newspaper because it has a law section I like, but yeah..This just reinforces the habit of not buying Murdoch-owned things and apparently it's a trend that's gone up since these scandals have come to light..

More
12 years 9 months ago #34157 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
I've heard about that recently as well. Something about them hacking into the cell phone of a missing girl, who later turned up dead, in order to make it look like she was using her phone? Seems like a criminal offence to me... interfering with an investigation, or something like that...

Most of the media here has been focused on Will and Kate again... they've just wrapped up a week-long visit to Canada. Kate seems to be every bit the media darling that Diana was... hopefully she'll have an easier time of it though.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34172 by Envy
Ahh we heard about the good and bad things said about Will and Kate heading over that side of the world too. Can't actually remember much of the good stuff - I can only remember 'Royal parasites' out of all the stuff reported back in the media. :blink:

And yeah - The phone thing was awful. Basically, the newspapers hacked into the phone of the missing girl and her mailbox filled up, so the newspaper people deleted messages on the phone in order to be able to receive more messages. Because there was activity on the phone, police and the girl's parents had hopes the girl was still alive - When she was actually already dead. :huh: Horrible stuff..

More
12 years 9 months ago #34378 by Envy
:pinch: Horrible, horrible things about shootings in Norway, which I'd presume you've probably all heard about?

If not - The link is below and a summary would be basically a madman with tons of automatic guns went onto an island which was used for a summer camp type of thing for teenagers in Norway and shot everyone he could find.

I couldn't stop thinking about what a horrible situation it was..When I heard it on the news, it just sounded like something out of a horror movie. What shocked me the most was that emergency response units took hours to get to the island, meaning kids were running for their lives for hours trying to evade this manic gunman..*Shudder*.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europ...-Utoya-shooting.html

More
12 years 9 months ago #34380 by black_magnolia
I noticed something had happened in Norway becasue of some of my facebook friends, but I didn't watch any news so I didn't know any details.

Sounds horrible!

I think there was also some terrorist attack in Oslo the same day?

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds