Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #32801 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

What bothers me is that I don't see this ever ending. It's like starting a new Palestinian-Israeli conflict..Ugh.

I don't see this ending either, but that's not surprising at all. What would you do with all the military in the world if there wasn't something to fight about?
I've talked with people in military, people who have been in UN peacekeeping etc. and basically, it's all about economy/money; democracy and peace are on the end of the list of priorities.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by black_magnolia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #33267 by black_magnolia
All the news here are about the arrest of Ratko Mladić (accused for genocide and crimes against humanity during the Yugoslav Wars).

I find it just sad that he didn't get arrested sooner. It took them 16 years to arrest him, not becasue he was so hard to find, but becasue they didn't want to. If it wasn't for Serbia's desire to join the EU, I don't think he would have been arrested ever.

I hope that this means they'll arrest Goran Hadžić sometime soon too.

And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 11 months ago #33268 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
black_magnolia wrote:

All the news here are about the arrest of Ratko Mladić (accused for genocide and crimes against humanity during the Yugoslav Wars).

I find it just sad that he didn't get arrested sooner. It took them 16 years to arrest him, not becasue he was so hard to find, but becasue they didn't want to. If it wasn't for Serbia's desire to join the EU, I don't think he would have been arrested ever.

All in our news too..

Though it annoys me that it wasn't my area of study for history so I know relatively nothing about it! :(

More
12 years 11 months ago #33272 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

Though it annoys me that it wasn't my area of study for history so I know relatively nothing about it! :(

That doesn't really surprise me at all. It's still somehow an early history thing and while the wars are part of every history curriculum here, professors don't really spend a lot of time on it, so I'm not surprised that in other countries it's thought even less... Well, that was at least the case when I was in school, maybe the younger generations will learn more about it in school.

I think becasue my generation was alive during the wars, professors think that we know what was going on and becasue the subject is a pretty touchy one, they don't talk much about it in class...

My family was pretty far away from the battles so the only thing we got were a couple bombing alarms, luckily our town wasn't bombed during the war...

Sadly I have a lot of friends who have lost some of their family members in the war (mostly fathers who have died for our independent country), or whose members are still considered missing, or who have gone through hell themselves...

The whole topic of the war is still a touchy subject here.
I hope all the people who are accused of war crimes will soon be persecuted so that this part of history can be closed and that people can go on living in peace...

btw. if you are curious about the wars, I'd advise you to google them a bit. I can't deliver some short synopsis of what happened, becasue there was, for lack of a better word, a lot of shit (and that's a light word for it). :(

And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33310 by jefkim666
Replied by jefkim666 on topic Re: What's in the news?
black_magnolia wrote:

....but becasue they didn't want to. If it wasn't for Serbia's desire to join the EU, I don't think he would have been arrested ever.

In Holland there are rumours coming up that the arrest was directed. (according to the sunday telegraph, here's the link if anyone is interested)

More
12 years 10 months ago #33311 by black_magnolia
jefkim666 wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

....but becasue they didn't want to. If it wasn't for Serbia's desire to join the EU, I don't think he would have been arrested ever.

In Holland there are rumours coming up that the arrest was directed. (according to the sunday telegraph, here's the link if anyone is interested)

lol :woohoo: sorry, I had to laugh sarcastically. :pinch:

Naturally isn't the Serbian government going to tell that they could have arrested him earlier but they didn't want to.

Yes, it most probably was a set up. In Serbia most of the population is still celebrating Mladić as a hero. You read correctly - The Butcher of Srebrenica is a hero in the eyes of many Serbs.

Serbia was going to get a big negative report card from the EU integration office in July, so that gave them a reason to kick themselves in the backside and arrest Mladić.

At least the EU is good for some things. I'm somewhat disgusted how Serbia needed 16 years to catch him and how he is praised as a hero in Serbia, but now at least justice has an opportunity to be served in court.

And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds