Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 9 months ago #23336 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:What's in the news?
I think some towns in Quebec, a province of Canada, have or are considering similar bans. I don't know that I support it 100%, but I'm not really against it either. Yes, people should have the freedom to express their religion however they choose. But if they want that freedom to extend to keeping their face covered at all times, even when identification is required, then no. If I remember correctly, some women wanted to get their driver's license photos taken with their faces covered... sorta defeats the purpose of having an ID photo in the first place.

Also, if you're going to move to another country, you have to be prepared to accept and abide by their cultural norms. You can still keep your language, traditions, etc. alive in your own family, but you can't expect your new country to convert to your ways. I can only imagine what would happen if I went to a strict Muslim country, and walked around in a miniskirt and tanktop like I do here... I don't think they'd be very tolerant of that. As the saying goes, \"when in Rome, do as the Romans do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23341 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:What's in the news?
Hmm I guess I have similar feelings. I recall a huge uproar here when Shia Muslims wanted to introduce Shariah law in areas of England.

Obviously, no one would allow that to pass, but it was an interesting case. I'm not really sure of what I think..I think Muslims should be able to wear religious clothing in public even if it covers their face, but regarding ID photos, it should be taken off, yes.

My views might be a bit unusual though, as my city is home to..3(?) Indian districts, I think - Each district houses Indians with different religions, so there's an area for Muslims, an area for Hindus etc. (can't remember the third but I'm pretty sure there is one). We have an ethnic majority because of it as well, so we're quite used to seeing religious clothing being worn.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23343 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re:What's in the news?
I don't see the problem with allowing them to wear it. It's a clothing choice, though I agree in the case of photo ID and they should have to remove it to confirm that they are who is on the ID but after that they can put it back on.

It's just fear mongering, Muslims being demonised. I doubt people would have an issue in me going out wearing a mask, well, as much of an issue depending on what it was. So what makes those Muslims who choose to wear it different from me?

More
13 years 9 months ago #23345 by Envy
Kuroboshi wrote:

I don't see the problem with allowing them to wear it. It's a clothing choice, though I agree in the case of photo ID and they should have to remove it to confirm that they are who is on the ID but after that they can put it back on.

It's just fear mongering, Muslims being demonised. I doubt people would have an issue in me going out wearing a mask, well, as much of an issue depending on what it was. So what makes those Muslims who choose to wear it different from me?

True - Around here, there was a hoodie being sold where you could zip it up completely and your face would be hidden. I'll try and find a picture.

Basically - Everything was fine when people wore it around, but people were told to take the hood down when in shops because people were using them to thieve things.

If it's a case of store security, then okay, that may be a point, but in all fairness, around here? You're more likely to get things stolen from you by little children/teenagers than Muslims, who are generally very respectful compared. I've seen mothers deliberately 'accidentally drop' things into a child's push-chair and have the kid hide it and I've seen children (around the age of 6) run into stores, grab junk food and run straight back out and as far away as possible.

I think the Muslim society is often alienated a lot these days.

Found the picture of the hoodie that was banned in shops:

More
13 years 9 months ago #23366 by black_magnolia
The first misconception about the burka is that it's part of the religion, but it's not. It's a cultural thing, a remnant of a strict patriarchal society which used it (and unfortunately still uses it) to keep a dominant position over women. Nowhere in the Kur'an is there a place that mentions the burka or that a woman should be covered in such a strict way. I remember watching an interview with a mufti (can't recall his name) explaining how the burka doesn't have anything to do with the religion. (a mufti is an interpretor of Islamic law/Sharia)
Therefore, I don't see banning a burka as a breach of humans rights, noone is saying they can't practice Islam. There is also the right of other people to take into account. The way orthodox Muslim women dress, with a burka and cloths that hide their feminine figures, a man with bad intentions could easily dress like that and do harm.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Muslims are a threat, but as was before mentioned, \"when in Rome do as the Romans do\". You can't expect people to accept you if you don't want to assimilate to some degree with them. My first neighbours are the local imam's family and only his wife (she's a school teacher) wears a veil over her head with her face open, while the imam's mother doesn't wear anything on her head to cover her...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23370 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

The first misconception about the burka is that it's part of the religion, but it's not. It's a cultural thing, a remnant of a strict patriarchal society which used it (and unfortunately still uses it) to keep a dominant position over women. Nowhere in the Kur'an is there a place that mentions the burka or that a woman should be covered in such a strict way. I remember watching an interview with a mufti (can't recall his name) explaining how the burka doesn't have anything to do with the religion.

Ah, my mistake. I only recalled something about how Muslim women are to cover themselves so that other men can't look at them or something..Something to do with retaining purity etc - Assumed it was part of the religion, but haven't been in R.E. classes for a long time. :S

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds