Show Navigation Menu

Shoes, Boots and Footwear in General.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33452 by Envy
Wedge shoes seem to be pretty popular right now. :P

Plus apparently they're much better on your feet than thin stiletto-y heels..

>.< A student teacher we had was telling us horror stories - She completely shattered her ankle whilst wearing stilettos and can never wear heels again now (her leg is almost 100% titanium or something after a reconstruction op.), so she told us all heels aren't worth it unless they're thick wedges. :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33463 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

Wedge shoes seem to be pretty popular right now. :P

Plus apparently they're much better on your feet than thin stiletto-y heels..

>.< A student teacher we had was telling us horror stories - She completely shattered her ankle whilst wearing stilettos and can never wear heels again now (her leg is almost 100% titanium or something after a reconstruction op.), so she told us all heels aren't worth it unless they're thick wedges. :S

Yes, it really looks like they are. :P One of my friends bought a pair of wedges just a week ago and I was with her when she was shopping. :silly: Seems like shoe shopping can be contagious. ;) :woohoo:

I would agree with your student teacher. Better to stick with something that doesn't look so sexy/nice/etc. but is comfortable (and safer) then risking injuries.

Looking at my small shoe collection now - The pair of shoes that I wear the least are ones that have just a small heel (3 cm) but which is really thin/stiletto-like.
I generally walk very fast, so when I walk in those I have to slow down becasue I feel I don't have the right support(enough security) in my heel. :S

When I buy shoes with a heel I look out that I don't feel a big difference to how I walk in them in comparison to flat shoes. (The uncomfortable pair I mentioned I bought becasue I needed shoes for prom and I was shopping in the last second, so I didn't have a lot of choice in the end. :S)

I really put comfort above looks in shoes. I had several feet injuries (from broken bones to injured ligaments etc.) of which fortunately only a handful was due to the wrong shoes, but all those injuries make me just very cautious when I buy shoes.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33466 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

I really put comfort above looks in shoes. I had several feet injuries (from broken bones to injured ligaments etc.) of which fortunately only a handful was due to the wrong shoes, but all those injuries make me just very cautious when I buy shoes.

Ahh..I've never had an injury like that before (never broken a bone or injured a ligament of any sort), so I'd have to say my pretty big shoe collection isn't quite so. Er. Ankle-friendly? :S

Although when I think about it, 90% of my shoes have block heels and I think I only have two stiletto-y pairs..But my block heeled shoes also happen to have pretty high platforms (with heel being taller than platform), so..Maybe that cancels any benefits out. :P Probably break a leg or two if I fell over in those - Parents are always warning me. They're very comfy to walk in though. Just like flats! And the thicker heel means everything feels a lot more stable than a thin heel.

I only have one pair of wedges. :woohoo: I should probably wear them more often, but I tend to have a huge weakness for platform heels..Pretty funny how I feel awkward and clumsy with wedge shoes and yet I feel completely normal with platform heels which are a lot heavier etc.

Regardless of the type of heel I'm wearing, I tend to slow down my walking speed a whole ton - But my usual walking speed is insanely fast. :P Have to say, I'm not that comfy wearing stiletto heels out for long - The roads and pavements around here are pretty crap quality. Sloped pavements, some cobbled streets in town (particularly in the area with alternative shops, annoyingly enough)..Never dared to head that direction with stiletto heels on. :blink:

More
12 years 10 months ago #33467 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

Have to say, I'm not that comfy wearing stiletto heels out for long - The roads and pavements around here are pretty crap quality. Sloped pavements, some cobbled streets in town (particularly in the area with alternative shops, annoyingly enough)..Never dared to head that direction with stiletto heels on. :blink:

Oh, I know! That's just one more reason I don't like those stiletto heels. Here in Zagreb most of the streets are ok, but there are still a lot of nasty pieces of ground when it comes to stilettos.
At home I also have totally unpaved streets (most notably right in front of my house becasue my home-town is really slow when it comes to paving residential areas) and those are really the worst. :S

And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #33481 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

Have to say, I'm not that comfy wearing stiletto heels out for long - The roads and pavements around here are pretty crap quality. Sloped pavements, some cobbled streets in town (particularly in the area with alternative shops, annoyingly enough)..Never dared to head that direction with stiletto heels on. :blink:

Oh, I know! That's just one more reason I don't like those stiletto heels. Here in Zagreb most of the streets are ok, but there are still a lot of nasty pieces of ground when it comes to stilettos.
At home I also have totally unpaved streets (most notably right in front of my house becasue my home-town is really slow when it comes to paving residential areas) and those are really the worst. :S

Come to think of it, there are places in town where the cobbled streets are so bad that I've struggled to walk in thick platform block heels before as well. There's a street in town where parts of the pavement are flat and random parts of it that lead to little parking spaces between buildings are falling to pieces ..Ugh. Horrible to walk on - But once you hit the town centre everything's lovely, 'cause they've just re-done it all.

I don't think they ever plan on re-paving most areas around here to be honest..Not anytime soon anyway. Country barely has money to fill up potholes in the road let alone re-do pavements. :pinch:

Edit: (Bringing shoe talk back here :P):

What do you think of *thigh-high* boots? Ever owned any/worn any? Are they difficult to find a decent fit?

I've always been curious, but being the tiny person I am, I haven't really dared to order any, plus I'd have no idea how they'd look on me or what I could put with them..Even with under-knee boots I usually have problems with calf thickness, so I can't imagine trying to get thigh-thicknesses that work with me. :(

And also - I remembered something random my male English teacher once said - That he loved women's shoes because he could appreciate them aesthetically. :silly: When I think about it - Seeing a really nice pair of shoes brightens my day, haha! Even if I wouldn't buy or wear them - I can't quite explain why. I don't have a strange shoe-fetish or anything, I swear!

Wonder if there's something in that. :P I can't be the only one.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Envy.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #33488 by black_magnolia
I also adore looking at nice shoes! :)

Regarding thigh-high boots - I really don't have any experience with them. As with any nice shoes, I like to see them. Some women can really pull them off, but I wouldn't have anywhere to really wear them, so it would be a waste of money.

And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by black_magnolia.

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds