Show Navigation Menu

Sweets

More
14 years 2 months ago #14533 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Sweets
The first BFC I made was for my husband's birthday, and it tasted OK but didn't look so great. It took a few tries, and modifications to the recipe, before I got one that looked good, as well as tasting good. The icing on it was equal parts whipping cream and icing sugar* mixed together, and that was really yummy.

*I think this is also called confectioners sugar in some parts of the world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14541 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Sweets
I made BFC a million times, one of the easiest cakes, in my opinions, to make. I always make it extra large as my family can't get enough of it. :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14559 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Sweets
I know my problem is partially with my icing. I usually cheat and buy the pre-made icing. But even when I make it myself, I just use my grandmother's recipes (not recipes really, but she just poured icing sugar, mixed with butter, and blended it together in different thicknesses to make different icings. Not really good cake icing, better for cookies. I will have to get some better icing recipes. I actually have a few good cake recipes that I haven't had a chance to try, including the original Death by Chocolate cake (but it takes 2 days to make!).

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14583 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Sweets
necie1286 wrote:

my mom makes cakes and wants to sell them so i'm learning more about making cakes and all. so hopefully one day i can help her with it. she doesn't make flat cakes she makes cakes that are shaped. she can make a 3-D rubber duck. she made one for my brother's birthday.

Not sure about where you live, but over in the UK, there's tons of regulations if you want to sell food as a business. I'm part of a 'Young Enterprise' group and we weren't allowed to make and sell food due to the fact that the consumer would have no idea what's gone into it etc.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14584 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Sweets
scootiebee wrote:

I know my problem is partially with my icing. I usually cheat and buy the pre-made icing. But even when I make it myself, I just use my grandmother's recipes (not recipes really, but she just poured icing sugar, mixed with butter, and blended it together in different thicknesses to make different icings. Not really good cake icing, better for cookies. I will have to get some better icing recipes. I actually have a few good cake recipes that I haven't had a chance to try, including the original Death by Chocolate cake (but it takes 2 days to make!).

Death by Chocolate cake! :side: That's something just for special occasions for me, so I haven't had it in ages..

It tends to be pot luck when I make icing..Sometimes it turns out okay - Other times, it's a sugary, sticky mess. Haha. It's the same with gravy. I don't make it enough so it's pure luck if it turns out edible. :P

More
14 years 2 months ago #14606 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Sweets
I gave up long ago trying to make icing, since I could never get it to turn out right... it's either runny, or hard as a rock. The only one that ever turned out OK was the icing for the BFC, and that only had 2 ingredients.

The store bought ones are pretty good, and they do keep for quite a while if you don't use it all up at once. It says on most of them to use within 2 weeks of opening, but I've kept them for several months, tightly covered in the fridge, and they were fine.

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds