Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 6 months ago #26951 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
Kuroboshi wrote:

From what I remember, it'd only be possible to time travel to points where the machine existed.

Say the machine was built in 2020 and was damaged beyond repair in say...2060.

The result would be you could only travel between any points between those two.

Uhhm..Not sure about that. It depends how the proposed machine worked.

If you *and* the machine both travelled faster than the speed of light, then you could go anywhere you wanted in the future. If the machine made you travel faster than the speed of light..Well..Is that even possible? I think you'd require you *and* the machine to travel faster than the speed of light to travel forwards in time..

Where did you get the information from?

I'm only recalling the basis of what I say from something Hawking proposed on a documentary a while back. :unsure:

@ black_magnolia:

Futurama comes to mind!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #26953 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: What's in the news?
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-512733/...hs-say-Russians.html

Probably isn't my original source but it has the information I needed (at the end anyway)

More
13 years 6 months ago #26958 by Madam_Mim
Replied by Madam_Mim on topic Re: What's in the news?
In my part of the world, there are 2 things that are in the headlines these days;
Mass layoffs (about 3000 persons) in one of the largest companies in Denmark (Vestas Wind System) and so the fact that there is a lunatic loose in Malmo in Sweden, who shoots and kills immigrant - so far there are 16 unsolved shooting incident against immigrants. :angry:
What the hell's going on with people nowadays :unsure:

More
13 years 6 months ago #26961 by black_magnolia
Madam_Mim wrote:

In my part of the world, there are 2 things that are in the headlines these days;
Mass layoffs (about 3000 persons) in one of the largest companies in Denmark (Vestas Wind System) and so the fact that there is a lunatic loose in Malmo in Sweden, who shoots and kills immigrant - so far there are 16 unsolved shooting incident against immigrants. :angry:
What the hell's going on with people nowadays :unsure:

I heard about that Swedish shooter also in our news! I think they mentioned it just once. :huh:
Here they have been constantly talking about the French protest against their new pension law...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 6 months ago #26964 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
We haven't heard anything about a Swedish shooter yet - But the French protests reached us a while back, seeing as they were pretty similar to protests here about university fees.

More
13 years 6 months ago #26971 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
A man called Russell Williams has been given 2 life sentences for murder. He started off by breaking into houses, stealing women's and girl's underwear, and then taking photos and videos of himself wearing the items while masturbating. He escalated pretty rapidy to assault, rape, and finally murder, complete with photos and videos that he took of the assaults. The media here are calling it a Jekyll and Hyde case, due to his day job. Most offenders like this are control freaks and looking for an outlet for their frustrations, but he already had plenty of opportunity to command others. He was a colonel in the air force, and in charge of one of Canada's biggest air force bases. One of his victims was another military person, and he even went so far as to write a letter to her family, in his capacity as her commanding officer, expressing his condolences! About the only redeeming thing that can be said for him is that he confessed, and spared the victims' families the ordeal of a trial. I won't post any links because most of the coverage has been very graphic and disturbing, but I'm sure it's easily searchable if anyone wants to know more.

I've read some articles in the local paper, in Halifax, relating to a case called the Sleepwatcher. Over the last few years, university-aged women have been reporting peeping toms. The police think it's the same person, and he's gone from looking in windows, to breaking into houses. Women are apparently waking up to find him standing by their bed, watching them as they sleep. Apparently now he's touching women as well, although the police aren't saying exactly what he's doing. No one has been able to give a very good description of him, since they're half asleep when they see him. Various experts are worried though, that he's following the same path as Williams, but hopefully they can catch him before he gets that far.

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds