Show Navigation Menu
Media

Gothic Band

More
14 years 5 months ago #8840 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Gothic Band
Have to agree with Thurysaz, Blutengel is a must have.

Psssst, AFI, Evanescence, and HIM aren't gothic bands. They are influenced by goth but they, themselves, aren't. :( Don't worry, I like them too.

Meaning comes from within.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #8879 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:Gothic Band
The Sisters of Mercy.

And I'd say AFI are occasionally gothic by way of deathrock but most of the time punk.
Evanesence, not gothic rock but definitely influenced by gothic metal of the Lacuna Coil/Type O* variety.
HIM, I'd say were gothic rock, of the Sisters of Mercy and Mission UK variety. They're not like a traditional gothic rock band but they have enough of the sound to be called pure gothic rock, even if it is more contemporary.

That's my two cents.

*Not that I'm saying LC and TON sound anything like each other. It's just they're more keyboardy gothic metal than death/doom gothic metal.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Aftermidnight.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #8881 by Highwayman
Replied by Highwayman on topic Re:Gothic Band
:

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Highwayman.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #8886 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Gothic Band
Nightwish isn't gothic either. Yet again, influenced, but they are actually Symphonic metal, power metal. While lovely and beautiful ear candy as it may be, not gothic.
I prefer the keyboardy goth bands. Never could get into a lot of the older stuff. I guess I'm a new wave kind of guy. London After Midnight, Combichrist, Pig, CRUD, and Android Lust are my usual's. Of course, I have my moments of unadulterated death/doom gothic metal. Anathema and Type O Negative are personal favorites.
But you're right, TON isn't very metal at all really. In fact it's quite solemn. I only know of a handful of songs that are earsplitting.

Meaning comes from within.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by SkieShauphen.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8943 by anastasia13
Replied by anastasia13 on topic Re:Gothic Band
lacuna coil, demon hunter, Inkubus Sukkubus, mercury rev, among others

Anastasia

Those who stand in white blessed light might not always be good, those who stand in the inky shadows of darkness might not always be evil.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8946 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:Gothic Band
I do love Type O Negative. Their early stuff like Unsuccessfully Coping With The Natural Beauty of Infidelity is ok but when they do their tongue-in-cheek goth satires they're at their best. Because they kind of mock gothic but in an affectionate way. Black No 1 is a brilliant, sexy, heavy, dark, sexy song. I think it's really sexy as well...
Oh does anyone else like Paradise Lost? I bought their newest album on a whim (I liked the packaging) despite not having heard anything by them before and its is AMAZING.

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds