Show Navigation Menu
Media

Literature

More
14 years 10 months ago #276 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Literature
You are a woman after my own heart. I am an absolute Dragonlance addict. At last count I had over 100 of the books in my possession and that gets added to every time I visit my local used bookstore. Though I do enjoy the stories that follow the exploits of the original companions, I find myself drawn to the minotaur stories written by Richard A. Knaak. I quite enjoy his writing and I've always had a soft spot for minotaurs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #284 by Atanasia_Luiza_Lupei
Replied by Atanasia_Luiza_Lupei on topic Re:Literature
If you're into fantasy books I recommend you read:
The Black Jewels Series by Anne Bishop

It's truly an amazing series. It starts with a trilogy, and later three more books were added onto the series.
Enjoy!

dracu lupei

More
14 years 8 months ago #653 by Vivaris
Replied by Vivaris on topic Re:Literature
The Gamer topic reminded me of this book: Alamut by Vladimir Bartol
It's not gothic but it certainly has a dark side to it and it's a great read for anyone that likes historical and/or arabic themes. It's about the fort of Alamut (or eagle's nest) which actually existed, which has a great leader of a kind of extreme religious sect where the birth of assassin's occurs (you also find out one of the possible ways the name \"assassin\" came into being). It's not one of those things where there's a crazy guy leading everything into a oblivion and there's a good guy that saves the day, it really manages to capture a different logic towards life in people and the way the plot unfolds is nothing like any other book i've read. No book has ever completely prevented me from predicting what happens next so effectively as this one.

It's a bit lengthy but if you can take the time i strongly recommend reading this book ;)

And it's been translated into many languages, chances are you'll find one in your language

The dream is alive...

More
14 years 7 months ago #3730 by Lonecrow
Replied by Lonecrow on topic Books
What books do you like more?
Name some and its type too (if it is about love, crime, phantasy,...)

More
14 years 7 months ago #3738 by anastasia13
Replied by anastasia13 on topic Re:Books
Sookie Stackhouse novels naturally, PC Cast \"Zoey\" series, all vampire related books. I love Stephen King...dark horror. I have the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe (poetry and stories), lots of Shakespear, Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth Series, fantasy), David Eddings, Anne McGaffery, Shirley Russeau Murphy, and others.

Anastasia

Those who stand in white blessed light might not always be good, those who stand in the inky shadows of darkness might not always be evil.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3739 by Polaristhe2
Replied by Polaristhe2 on topic Re:Books
Well, since it is really hard to decide on one single favourite book, I'll have to name some.
On stranger tides by Tim Powers is definetly one of my favourite books ever. Basically anything by Terry Pratchet, but my personal fav is really Mort. A Farce to be reckoned with, Bring me the head of prince charming and If at Faust you don`t succeed. By Roger Zelazney and Robert Sheckley. And last but not least. The Bible. By God.
I think that's enough fantasy titles for now.
I've read Sun Tzu a couple of times. But, sigh... I really don't know why everyone adores that book of proverbs that much (basically in the manor of \"the dog that barks is undercooked\") Yeah, sure, Ole' Tzu really does share some of the easterner wisdoms in that book, but is pretty much like the Book of five rings by the noted samurai Myamoto Musashi. Bunch of wisdom we basically can't use anymore. But since we can use some of the knowledge I'll put those two on this list.
Since I'm more inclined to western philosophy, and since \"western philosophy is is just a series of footnotes to Plato\" I'll have to say that basically everything of ancient greek and hellenistic philosophers goes into my \"top readings\". Socrates and Archimedes, Aristoteles and Plato. If you haven't read it you're a barbarian. Simple as that. :D
Russian realism is also noted but I really have to find the time and the willpower to chew up their works.

Basically my choices are fantasy and philosophy. That put into consideration, I feel a little dirty right now...

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds