Show Navigation Menu
Media

Drowning in Vampire Stories

More
14 years 2 months ago #14678 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Drowning in Vampire Stories
Ugh..I've noticed this..That damn Twilight craze set it off really - I've expressed my opinions on this on another thread before.

I wonder when the 'vampire stories' will cease..

I recall that when there was a space-age craze and people went crazy for UFO stories, there was a surge in UFO reports. It makes me wonder whether there'll be a surge in shiny vampire reports.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14681 by Bpagemom
Morgana - I agree. Harry Potter, I feel, did pave the way for the super natural to become main stream. I've never read any of those books,a nd I've only half watched the movies since they really didn't interest me. To be honest.

I agree about the need for a wider selection of stories for college students and adults. I recently wrote a novel, and I'm currently looking for a publisher. Sure... romance is a large part of it, but it's not a romance novel that's typical, and it's got my sense of humor... so... we'll see if it takes off if I get a publisher.

"You have no power over me"

More
14 years 2 months ago #14689 by cemwerewolf
Morgana wrote:

The Wolfman is coming out this week, maybe we're entering the time of the werewolf... just have to wait and see.

Oh how I do hope this comes to pass! :laugh:

There has definitely been a surge of vampires in pop culture since Twilight came out. It seems like evry time something hits it big everyone ruches out to get their piece of the action. But, really, I have no problem with the crazes themselves. My problem is the fact that most of the stuff it spawns is mindless drivel. Nothing original. Sure, use the theme as a starting point, but give us something new for us to sink our fangs into!

More
14 years 2 months ago #14691 by Bpagemom
That's exactly what I'm talking about... mindless drivel. I do love a good vampire story, and I'll admit, I think that a romantic notion of vampires does appeal to me, as does the masses. However, something original. Why is it that when someone comes up with a new idea, everyone jumps on the bandwagon? If nothing else, Twilight is original in many ways. It's just a shame that we have to deal with this flooding of half chopped out books that all blend together. It's pathetic of the authors if you ask me.... but that's my elitist side rearing it's ugly face.

"You have no power over me"

More
14 years 2 months ago #14700 by scootiebee
I like vampire stories. But I agree, it has been vampire overkill. I haven't read a lot of the \"teen\" vampire books, but I have read \"twilight\" and Harry Potter. I loved Harry Potter when it first came out, and have read them all. They are very thoughtful and well written. Twilight was a fun escapist read, and I did enjoy it, even though it is geared to a much younger audience than me. I don't understand the complete haters, though. If you don't like romantic stories, than don't read them. if you don't like vampire stories, don't read them. I agree that some are just thrown together to jump on the bandwagon of vampire craziness, but Interview with the Vampire was published in 1976, so it has been a long-time coming. Maybe some of the newer stories are lousy, but some might be fun and worthwhile. And frankly, I haven't really found a shapeshifter series that I like, or any other type of series of books that are based on a supernatural creature other than vampires that I have really enjoyed. So each to their own.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14702 by Thurysaz
Personally I am not a fan of vampires.
Much less current vampires!

Mes hommages.

T.

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds