Show Navigation Menu
Media

Drowning in Vampire Stories

More
14 years 2 months ago #14647 by Bpagemom
I am not sure if this is the case in other countries, but in America, vampire stories have been a prevalent part of literature, music and cinema. However, since the release of Twilight, there's been a flurry of young adult vampire novels saturating the book store shelves. I have a few friends that are racing their way through these many novels, but I am avoiding them. I figure one teen focused unattainable vampire romance is good enough for me. What do you all think? Have you noticed this, and are you all over these?

"You have no power over me"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14656 by black_magnolia
Bpagemom wrote:

I am not sure if this is the case in other countries, but in America, vampire stories have been a prevalent part of literature, music and cinema. However, since the release of Twilight, there's been a flurry of young adult vampire novels saturating the book store shelves. I have a few friends that are racing their way through these many novels, but I am avoiding them. I figure one teen focused unattainable vampire romance is good enough for me. What do you all think? Have you noticed this, and are you all over these?

I haven't really noticed this here in Croatia, but I'm generally over it as I don't have the time to pay attention to this trivial things. I imagine these vampire novels like those cheap romance novels you can get at every corner. You read it and throw it away. (well, I don't throw my books away, I horde them, but most people do that with those cheap reads)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14659 by millkins
I have noticed this on a global level, because a lot of vampire franchise has been served recently and it is kind of normal, you have a lot of vampire series too so it is kind of expected. But since we are late and so far away I haven't noticed it here (except with my friends obsession with twilight). It has it's good sides, maybe people will develop some tolerance to certain things on a higher level (I am being very optimistic here), and it's bad sides, a lot of rubbish romances for teens or whoever but it shall pass eventually, so does everything else.

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

More
14 years 2 months ago #14662 by Bpagemom
True, like all wide spread obsessions, it will pass. Then, like all wide spread obsessions with vampires, it will come back. That's how it goes. However, in America, I have seen an improvement in the tolerance of the \"freakish\" and \"different\" by the public. Even the fashions reflect this. So, this is a good thing. But yes, they seem to be that trashy romance vampire stories. When I get a call from a female friend at 1am, and she's squeeling about something that happened between two characters, I tend to get turned off by it. haha.

"You have no power over me"

More
14 years 2 months ago #14664 by octoberRust
I've definitely noticed the big vampire-teen novel spike in this country. It actually is took over the mythology section in the local Barnes & Noble, which I'm pretty annoyed about. I was never caught up with the whole original Twilight flock, as I was busy reading the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan (Fifteen books long, but they're small and so much better and faster to read). But after the last book came out, I decided to see what all the fuss was about. I have to say the Twilight series was not as good as everyone said for me personally, the last book especially. I absolutely love reading and I struggle to find books that suit my age group, so I'm actually studying to be a writer along with some friends in hopes to give a wider selection to readers in the future. I know we'd love to see some people come out now and write different things for college level adults and older, so I'm sure others like me would like that too.

The autumn air thickly fills my lungs so sweetly;
Reminds me of her smoky breath.
With wine and this bouquet of maple and oak leaves,

In death or life, we'll always be.

More
14 years 2 months ago #14669 by Morgana
I've noticed the same thing, but of course in Canada we get pretty much the same books, movies, etc. as in the US, with no lag time between releases. My husband claims it all started when the movie of Interview with the Vampire came out... that was 1994, I believe. But it's been really prevalent since Twilight became such a phenomemon, and I think a lot of the others are just trying to cash in on the hype. Also, I think Harry Potter may have paved the way for Twilight, to a certain extent. Even though it's nothing to do with vampires, it still took off like wildfire, and made people much more open to the idea of anything supernatural.

I'm sure the cycle will ebb again at some point, and some other monster will take over the top place in fiction. The Wolfman is coming out this week, maybe we're entering the time of the werewolf... just have to wait and see.

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds