Show Navigation Menu
All things Alchemy.

skin reaction

More
14 years 1 month ago #17038 by scootiebee
skin reaction was created by scootiebee
Okay, I was worried at first that I was allergic to pewter, but I only have this reaction to bracelets. I have two Alchemy bracelets, and have only had this reaction with them, not earrings, rings, necklaces, etc, and only on the underside of my wrist, not on the top side. it is a scaly, icky, itchy red patchy area of skin under the area where the bracelet normally sits when I am resting (i.e. sitting at the desk typing, lying down sleeping, etc.). It was so bad, I had to take off the bracelet. I don't usually take it off ever, since a cuff bracelet has to be bent every time it is put on or removed. I think what is happening is the very wide bracelet is being pressed to my skin, causing it to sweat, and when I am sleeping or whatever, I don't move, so it is trapped against my skin for hours at a time. Could this be the problem? Has anyone else had this reaction? I am POSITIVE it is not an allergy to the metal. I have several Alchemy earrings and a ring on that I have been wearing for months without removing, so I know that's not the problem.

Would it help to paint the inside with clear nail polish, or do you think having the inside plated in silver could help?

Thanks for thinking about it. I appreciate it!

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #17050 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:skin reaction
scootiebee wrote:

I think what is happening is the very wide bracelet is being pressed to my skin, causing it to sweat, and when I am sleeping or whatever, I don't move, so it is trapped against my skin for hours at a time. Could this be the problem? Has anyone else had this reaction?

I reckon it is probably due to having moisture trapped between your skin and your jewellery for prolonged periods of time - My mother had an issue where her wedding ring was just loose enough so that water could seep in between her ring and her finger, which would cause her finger to swell and the ring would become painfully lodged.

The only solution for my mother was to take off the ring every night and ensure her hands were dry. :S It was just the easier option, even though it's her wedding ring.

More
14 years 1 month ago #17060 by millkins
Replied by millkins on topic Re:skin reaction
I have had a similar issue but it was due to the dirt in the bracelet, the same kind of bracelet and I resolved it by cleaning it thoroughly whenever I noticed it's making me itchy, or the skin being damaged. Now I dunno if this could be the problem you are facing but I just tried washing it with toothpaste and the issue was no more.

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

More
14 years 1 month ago #17070 by Thurysaz
Replied by Thurysaz on topic Re:skin reaction
It is clear that bring it always is not good.

Paint the inside with a good nail polish is a good idea.

Wear over a sleeve of the garment is also a solution.

Mes hommages.

T.

More
14 years 1 month ago #17075 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:skin reaction
I really don't know what can be the reason for this reaction as I don't wear bracelets 24/7.
Clear nail polish sounds like a good idea, but if the reason lies in bacteria that gets caught there because you can't really move the bracelet a lot and keep it dry and moisture free (bacteria love moisture and warmth) then it can get tricky...
I'm not really of help here. :S

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 1 month ago #17090 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:skin reaction
I have had this problem before and it was related to sweat or other moisture being caught between the bracelet and my wrist. The things that have worked for me are wearing something under the bracelet when I slept (I have a couple funky looking cotton wristbands I like to use) or, if it seems the problem is sweat, either rub on a bit of anti-perspirant or baby powder. Keeps the moisture to a minimum. Hope this helps . . .

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds