Show Navigation Menu

Any Christians out there?

More
14 years 8 months ago #602 by Aftermidnight
If it isn't too personal a question. I just wonder if there are any Christian goths out there, what with the stereotype that goth is the kind of antithesis of Christianity. I am a Christian (not a die-hard one; I believe in God but thats about as far as it goes) and sometimes it's a bit hard to get into gothic bands for example when their names are something like Christian Death...
But I think as long as you don't directly support the kind of (for want of a better term) anti-Christian side it's OK to be into this kind of thing. And for the most part goth isn't about religion at all, it can be taken as just a fashion, or music style, or subculture.
Sorry if this a bit of a weighty subject!
Off the record, I do sometimes \"accidently\" listen to Christian Death.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #603 by Vivaris
I am technically a christian as well, but prettymuch to the same extent as you, it's just something i grew up with since my mother is and her parents were christians and so on. And yes, it is something which will affect my choice in bands since i feel uncomfortable with listening to someone singing about how christians should die in every horrible way imaginable. I also don't like listening to satanist bands in general, mainly because to me the vast majority of people nowadays that consider themselves \"satanist\" don't really know what they're talking about and really just like thinking they're different and \"hardcore\" and all that BS, but also because again, I'd feel uncomfortable listening to severely anti-christian stuff.

Don't get me wrong though, i don't scoff at this and be all \"GOD WILL SMITE THEM WITH HIS MIGHTINESS\", what they choose to believe is their thing and i respect that (and also sometimes can't help listening to some songs like that :P), as long as they don't force their beliefs on me.

And to be honest, I don't think you really can be really goth and be extremely devoted to christianity because then alchemy and the dark things that goths are interested in would be seen as work of the devil or something of the sort.

The dream is alive...

More
14 years 8 months ago #606 by Morgana
I was a bit curious about this myself, as to what everyone's spiritual paths are here. My grandmother went to church regularly, but my family (parents and siblings) never did, other than for weddings and funerals.

I've become something of a Pagan over the last few years. It's more of an academic interest at this point, as I don't belong to a coven or hold rituals on any regular basis. I do mark the sabbats, but that's similar to a Christian who only goes to church at Christmas and Easter, I think. With me, it's more just a feeling of spirituality, and awareness of the natural world around us. For example, watching a spectacular sunset, or moonrise, or sitting on the beach watching the waves crashing on the rocks, is a spiritual experience for me. I did all three yesterday, so it was a great day.

The \"darker side\" has always felt normal to me... dark colours, horror movies/books, heavy metal music, etc. I can imagine that it would be a bit tough to reconcile gothic tastes with a Christian upbringing though.

More
14 years 8 months ago #624 by morphea3107
religion is always a tough subject to rely on , considering that everyone has different views on religion...i applaud your initiative to discuss this ....
as for the subject itself, i agree that there are certain things that are spiritually representative ..... i don't normally listen to stuff that are \"satanic\" or \"christian\"...i try to keep somewhat of a balance between what i believe and what surrounds me...

More
14 years 8 months ago #630 by CorpseQueen
I'm not a christian, because of many things. Of the story behind this religion, because of its view on humans (the genetic sin from Eve and Adam), because of its intolerance for other religions and may other human things (like homosexuality), because I can't be faitfull enough to believe in only one thing, and many other reasons...
And well, the dark side is more interesting too me then the \"bright\". And there I'm not talking about Satan...

Personally, I'm more interesting in the dark (tho I'm too good (or well-balansed) to be a real satanic) and more in madness...
My favorite god is Sheogorath, and some of you might recognize him... I'm in love with madness, I believe it's beautifull. And I love to write about it. So the God of Madness should be something for me...

When it comes to spiritual experiences, I think I've had a few. To the normal human I'm more of an ateist (because I'm not sure and because few would ever understand my trail of thought), and I'm never 100% sure even in real life, but one of the most interesting things is a dream... what I know, it's normal to die when you dream, even if you come back to life

It's a big subject, and be happy I didn't write more... I usually write too much too fast :huh:

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 8 months ago #631 by missytepes
This is a an interesting and provocative subject. I have found a site with someone who is exploring this path of \"Christian Witches\" You can find this at htpp://blog.wicca.com for other interesting thought

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds