Show Navigation Menu

Sexual Preferences

More
13 years 11 months ago #21470 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Sexual Preferences
Kuroboshi wrote:

Something amusing happened today, somewhat relevant to this topic.

A guy at college is bisexual, and one of the more immature people there decides to try make fun of it for him. I've never seen so many people against him at one time, mostly we just ignore it, ended with some people stating people they know, or in 1 case related to, are bisexual. Touchy subject it seems, at least we won't have to put up with the little runt next year.

Heh..Three guesses who an 'immature' one was.

Mm it's one of the reasons I'm not so keen on Scotland. The further North you go, the less tolerant people become of diversity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21472 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re:Sexual Preferences
I'd say we're fairly tolerant here.

Could just be my experiences in the areas though.

Then again, you know who we're talking about, and how much of an idiot he is. He actually thought referring to me as being an uncle would annoy me. Those of us there at the time were just like \"That's insulting...How?\"

More
13 years 11 months ago #21479 by Envy
Kuroboshi wrote:

I'd say we're fairly tolerant here.

Could just be my experiences in the areas though.

Then again, you know who we're talking about, and how much of an idiot he is. He actually thought referring to me as being an uncle would annoy me. Those of us there at the time were just like \"That's insulting...How?\"

I think he's just one of those imbeciles that tries to find anything to annoy you about. I know that the moment I'm out of Leicester, I only have to wander up to Derbyshire before people start to become racist and it becomes increasingly rare to see anyone who is of an ethnic minority.

Hmm..I reckon that tolerance regarding sexuality also decreases as things like cultural diversity decrease, because people aren't accustomed to people who don't fit in with mainstream norms and therefore it's more of a 'rare sight'. I'm curious as to whether there are any statistics online.

Down here, we have an ethnic majority and even though that's led to masses of BNP supporters in the city, none of them will actively discriminate out loud. I had no idea about the numbers until I looked up the leaked BNP members list online. This city's culture is also pretty laid back regarding sexuality..Of course, there are areas which are extremely racist/homophobic (strange how it's never one or the other, it's always the two together), but generally, everyone's quite accepting. Around the Midlands, the social norms are generally the same. In Birmingham, which is just next door, there's a pretty diverse culture too. It's quite common around here to see homosexual couples out and about and freely expressing their affection the same way a heterosexual couple would. After living here for all my life, you *really* notice the changes in social attitudes when you wander around the UK.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21480 by Kuroboshi
Yeah, he pretty much is that type. Ended up talking about politics somehow, he actually brought it up to try \"attack\" the bi guy. Then he mentions that he'd vote SNP, Scottish independence was basically his reasoning, a few of us actually argued against him, and it ended with 1 guy saying basically \"I'm not going to debate politics with you until you grow up.\"

Would be interested to have you up here and see what you make of the area.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21483 by Envy
Kuroboshi wrote:

Yeah, he pretty much is that type. Ended up talking about politics somehow, he actually brought it up to try \"attack\" the bi guy. Then he mentions that he'd vote SNP, Scottish independence was basically his reasoning, a few of us actually argued against him, and it ended with 1 guy saying basically \"I'm not going to debate politics with you until you grow up.\"

Would be interested to have you up here and see what you make of the area.

Don't particularly want to go off at a tangent and discuss Scottish politics, but basically, Scotland would be preeetty screwed without England funding your free university places..Which we can't even benefit from. Currently, Cameron's making Scotland reduce spending. I have a feeling it's in preparation for Scottish independence, seeing as Scotland won't be leeching off of English taxpayer's money if it happens. Scotland isn't exactly in the best economic position as it is *points to North-South divide*. Also..Cameron and Clegg would *love* Scottish independence. It would completely cut Labour votes out of the picture.

That kid must've had something wrong with his upbringing. In Leicester, the ones who are racist/homophobic are the ones who've learned that kind of behaviour from a poorly educated family. Typically one where the parents are teenage Chavs who dropped out of college and all are not in education, employment or training...You can get whole villages of people just like that. Generations brought up the same way, to believe the same ridiculous things about homosexuality and ethnicity. Their areas are very prominent too - Council housing areas. Ugh. No one from the mainstream 'outside' world generally sets foot in those areas apart from the police. In the Magistrates courts, some family names are actually well known, because all of the members of certain families are regulars.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21484 by Kuroboshi
We were all pretty much telling him Scotland is screwed without England anyway, but that's another subject.

He went to the same High School as me, which honestly? Did all that it could to teach tolerance, so it's probably from his family. Don't know much about the area though, it's fairly close to Edinburgh, so...IDK...

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds