Show Navigation Menu

Pets

More
12 years 10 months ago #33346 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Pets
cemwerewolf wrote:

Awwww! It's so nice to hear when people are merciful to the little furballs. I know people consider them a great nuisance but they're just so damn cute!

Yeah, they are cute... I just wish they weren't so destructive! Unfortunately, we had to spend a couple of hours on Sunday dragging everything out of our kitchen cupboards to clean, as we found mouse poo in one of them. And I can hear them scurrying around in the walls... fingers crossed that they don't start chewing on the wiring!

Venom84 - good for you, for taking on the challenge. Hopefully with lots of love and training, you can overcome those issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33349 by Venom84
Replied by Venom84 on topic Re: Pets
@ Morgana,thankyou :) ,issues have now been sorted,took about a year to do,but she is the most loving dog now..
Am still abit funny about leaving her around my children,as i think it is too much of a risk not knowing her full background..
:)

I'm going to live my life the best i can and how i want to, and if no one likes it i don't care..Lifes too short..xx

More
12 years 10 months ago #33354 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Pets
Morgana wrote:

Unfortunately, we had to spend a couple of hours on Sunday dragging everything out of our kitchen cupboards to clean, as we found mouse poo in one of them. And I can hear them scurrying around in the walls... fingers crossed that they don't start chewing on the wiring!

:S Hm. We discovered today that we have a sewer-rat/mouse problem. In our new half-built house, we had a plastic cover over a toilet to prevent things crawling up - But rodents have chewed through it and have been scurrying around after hours.

Not nice. We know it's a rat/rats or a mouse/mice because we opened up the manhole cover and found droppings all over the place, so we know they're around..Argh. It's such a creepy thought. We were surprised they were able to climb up so high to get through the toilet pipe - Not sure what to do about them. So far, we've just stuck something else over the toilet and bricked it down to keep them (hopefully) in the sewers for now..

It's not the fact they're rodents that bother me. It's the thought of the dirt they're carrying and spreading around that creeps me out. Euugh..

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #33367 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Pets
Venom84 wrote:

Am still abit funny about leaving her around my children,as i think it is too much of a risk not knowing her full background..
:)

Good decision. I wouldn't recommend leaving her with your kids even if you had her from when she was just a puppy and you supposedly knew her very good and were \"sure\" that she won't harm your kids or anyone else for that matter.

I love dogs and am pretty experienced with them, and even if a dog may be a \"calm\"/\"friendly\" breed etc. you never know how they will react with children.

I've seen very bad mauling incidents done by Golden Retrievers, Huskies and other breeds that \"don't bite\".

Never leave a child unattended with a dog, no matter which breed or how well trained it is.
Make clear all the do-s and don't-s for your dog in regards to your children.
(Best is that it keeps a good distance from them. Depending on the breed, a dog can be up to 40+ kg. More then a child. It can just shove the child during play and injure it...)

I get cramps in my stomach when I see those baby/child and dog videos on youtube. In 90% of those videos the dogs are clearly showing signs of discomfort, some level of stress and the owners think it's excitement/happiness/calmness etc. It takes a split second for your dog to bite a child in the face and you can be standing just a few yards away...

I don't want to scare anyone with this too much. A dog brings a lot of benefits if you know how to handle one, but you have to keep in mind that it is an animal and there are always risks.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33372 by Venom84
Replied by Venom84 on topic Re: Pets
Hi,i foster dogs for a rescue when i am able to,and my general rule of thumb is\"they may look cute and cuddly-but don't trust them for a second\"..

My dog is never left alone with the children,and when she is around them there is 100% supervision..
She even has her own bedroom with a gate on..

I recently had to have my Japanese Akita put to sleep...
He was called Sumo,he was 9yrs old-which is a good age for that breed of dog.
I was there when he was born,my mother owned Sumo's mum,he was so tiny,he was the runt..
It broke my heart when he was put to sleep.. :(
He had a stroke and it sent him nasty,he went for me and my father when he was visiting...
I would never re-home a dog that had gone for someone,its too much of a risk.
Unfortunately some dogs can not be offered that second chance..

I do my best and hope that i can make a difference...

I'm going to live my life the best i can and how i want to, and if no one likes it i don't care..Lifes too short..xx

More
12 years 10 months ago #33376 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Pets
I'm sorry to hear that. :( I know how hard it is putting animals to sleep. It's always hard for any reason, be it to end their pains or becasue they became dangerous.

I really respect people who foster animals. That can be a really tough job. I thought about doing it myself, but I fear I'd bond too much with the animal and then have a hard time letting it go. :S

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.375 seconds