Show Navigation Menu

Pets

More
13 years 2 months ago #30221 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Pets
Envy wrote:

Oh..Wow. 8 hours plane journey within a country? Where were you moving to/from? I know it only takes me about 9-10 hours to get from here in the UK to Seattle which is pretty far West US!

From Vancouver, British Columbia (just north of Seattle) on the west coast, to Sydney, Nova Scotia on the east coast, so almost across the entire country. There are no direct flights either, which really sucks... they had to make 2 changes, which only increased my anxiety about the whole thing. But thankfully it all turned out OK in the end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30265 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Pets
Morgana wrote:

From Vancouver, British Columbia (just north of Seattle) on the west coast, to Sydney, Nova Scotia on the east coast, so almost across the entire country. There are no direct flights either, which really sucks... they had to make 2 changes, which only increased my anxiety about the whole thing. But thankfully it all turned out OK in the end.

Ahh right..A very long journey then!

I'd never have thought of posting my pets via plane..Was it pricey?

England is so small that you'd never have such a wait or distance within the country..And if we were to move abroad, well..There's quarantine problems. I heard it's something like..6 months in quarantine once your pet arrives in the new country before they deem it safe, but I'm not sure if that's completely true. I just recall that figure somewhere.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30272 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Pets
Envy wrote:

England is so small that you'd never have such a wait or distance within the country..And if we were to move abroad, well..There's quarantine problems. I heard it's something like..6 months in quarantine once your pet arrives in the new country before they deem it safe, but I'm not sure if that's completely true. I just recall that figure somewhere.

Quarantine time depends from country to country. The UK has such a long proscribed quarantine of 6 months, most other countries don't even have a quarantine at all or have one of a month or 2 months.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30277 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Quarantine time depends from country to country. The UK has such a long proscribed quarantine of 6 months, most other countries don't even have a quarantine at all or have one of a month or 2 months.

Ah right..So it's just us that are harsh then. :woohoo: Mm that quarantine time puts people off moving abroad if they have pets - Or even taking pets abroad.

I recall having a firefighter talking about his pet dog, who was trained to help find people in rubble after natural disasters - He had to wait a long time to get him to and from the country he wanted to help..

And for people who have puppies/kittens - Well. If you want to move, by the time your pet is back with you, it'll have all grown up. :huh:

More
13 years 2 months ago #30330 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Pets
Envy wrote:

Morgana wrote:

I forget exactly how much it was, but I think less than $500. Whatever it was, I thought it was pretty reasonable though.

When we first started talking about moving, I told my husband I was going to ask the vet what she thought about moving the cats that far, and that if she thought we shouldn't do it, then I was staying put. I don't think he was too happy about that, but there was no way I was moving without them.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30372 by Envy
Morgana wrote:

I forget exactly how much it was, but I think less than $500. Whatever it was, I thought it was pretty reasonable though.

When we first started talking about moving, I told my husband I was going to ask the vet what she thought about moving the cats that far, and that if she thought we shouldn't do it, then I was staying put. I don't think he was too happy about that, but there was no way I was moving without them.

:P Teehee.

That is a pretty good price - But still. Quite a bit.

It always surprises me how much people are willing to spend on their pets - I don't know why. I found out the other day that my auntie had to spend two month's worth of salary to get Brodie's ear fixed after he fought with Rena (his whole ear was torn off) :huh:

..I also found out that Rena has a snapping point and a short temper. Ordinarily she's all soft and cuddles, but if something annoys her for long enough, she'll try and kill it. :dry: My auntie said she was dog-sitting a co-worker's chihuahua once..It wouldn't shut up and Rena eventually used her mouth to completely enclose it. My auntie thought she was a gonner (the dog and my auntie herself as a result). :woohoo: It sounds awful and it is, but I can't help but be slightly amused. The chihuahua wasn't injured, was hastily returned to the co-worker and didn't utter a peep after that.

And on another topic - Bit annoyed at my tank of fish - Ever since our two females died, it's left the tank as 3 males on 1 female. She gave birth to a whole load of stillborns yesterday, which is pretty likely to be linked to that. My parents won't let me get 2-3 more females though, because we have about 30 fry that mostly turned out female..Grr. I don't want to leave her separated in a different tank for long..

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds