Show Navigation Menu

Pets

More
14 years 1 month ago #17466 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Pets
If you keep the plant in a light enough and warm enough part of the house, it should be fine. Kitchen?

Anyway, poor Noelle is gone. She went to the rescue lady today. She will probably hate it there. She didn't like sharing my house with one other cat, but now she has to share that house with like 50 other cats.

I am worried about her, but I hope she gets a really good home. She deserves it. But it just couldn't be my home. I feel guilty, but at least my other cat is back to normal. He had been so stressed for three months that he was starting to drive us all crazy. But he is now back to his wonderful old self.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #17486 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Pets
SkieShauphen wrote:

Does a carnivorous plant count as a pet? I've been looking at getting one but I live in a really cold area. It would have to stay inside, but I wonder if I could still keep it warm enough...

That's an interesting idea. :P I've had a fair few carnivorous plants in my lifetime. I was given a venus flytrap when I was very little, and it had me completely intrigued! I was never the most bug-friendly person out there - I had pet frogs too. I fed all of them really fat garden spiders. :) I loved watching my frogs eat.

..I was a strange kid.

More
14 years 1 month ago #17515 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Pets
It's ok Envy. I used to feed grasshoppers to ants and then feed the ants to antlions outside in the dirt. It's so funny watching the ants try and struggle to climb out of the hole and then all of a sudden they get dragged down under the dirt. Poor bastards. A friend of mine had a Venus Fly Trap and he used to shove pens in it to watch it snap shut. Did you know that if you put the right nutrients in the soil that a Fly Trap is growing in, then they don't even need to eat? The only reason they eat living creatures is because in the rain forests, there isn't any protein in the soil. Interesting. The plants I'm thinking about getting are a venus fly trap hive and a dragon plant. Both need the same type of environment but I'm worried about them growing too big to keep on a window sill per say. Will they outgrow their pots?

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 1 month ago #17523 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Pets
Wow Skie, that's very Renfield of you. Feeding the small things to the next things, etc. At least you don't end up eating the bugs yourself! :) Creepy!

I had a venus fly trap for a while, but I tend to murder indoor plants. it didn't last long. But I don't think they get very big. The pot it comes in, or a nicer looking pot of a similar size, should probably be sufficient.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23934 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Pets
Does anyone have advice/experience owning tropical/saltwater fish?

Curious about owning them myself one day, but I heard that getting salt levels right can be a real pain and that a change of tank water can wipe them all out because of the salt levels. :blink:

More
13 years 9 months ago #23938 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Pets
Envy wrote:

Does anyone have advice/experience owning tropical/saltwater fish?

Curious about owning them myself one day, but I heard that getting salt levels right can be a real pain and that a change of tank water can wipe them all out because of the salt levels. :blink:

Tropical salt-water fish are something for people that have a lot of experience with keeping aquariums. Not only do you have to think about the salt levels, but also about money. Tropical salt-water fish are a lot more expensive then fresh-water ones and the whole equipment for their tank is pretty expensive. You also need a pretty big tank for them to start with...
If you are a total beginner with keeping fish, then it's best to start with a cold fresh-water aquarium then go to the tropical one and then when you're experienced enough go to the sat-water one.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds