Show Navigation Menu

What REALLY annoys you?

More
13 years 2 months ago #30426 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What REALLY annoys you?
Kuroboshi wrote:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head, Morgana.

However, it goes beyond that when it comes to chavs to mean people who are just generally no good, have no motivation to better themselves, are often violent/in trouble with the law etc...

That's pretty much it.

Council housing here is like..Walking into a poor district. The housing is *very* basic and is distinguishable by the design and the white (but usually dirtied/vandalised/very aged) paint job. There's usually endless stories in the news about how badly maintained they are - But it's how the rent costs are kept low. When someone moves out of a council house, another person is stuck in there, and they're almost never properly cleaned before new people move in..(Heard in the media lots of times and actually experienced it when I was with a pretty crappy choice of man and he was moving into one).

The housing is usually set aside in a city and all stuck together away from other non-council housing. That also means that groups develop inside there which are known as the 'underclass' (this terminology is according to my citizenship lessons, I'm not being elitist)..They develop their own kind of..Standards..Which include a disregard for education and a higher value of..Well..'Street life', and this is consistent with most council housing areas..The council housing areas also tend to have high levels of crime and people with alcohol/drug dependencies.

You'd only end up in a council house if you were basically homeless, and even at that, you'll probably live in a hostel first (particularly if you are under 21), before you can be found a council house to live in just due to the amount of demand, sadly.

That about covers the general description. It's not a nice area to be in. :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30480 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What REALLY annoys you?
Thanks for the info, Envy and Kuroboshi. I was pretty sure that was it, just from the context where I'd heard the term before. And I can just picture the type of area/person you're talking about... not a nice situation to be in at all.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30482 by BadDreams
Stupidity...

Persons so involved with themselves that the simple concept of \"understanding\" escapes them... :angry:

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #32226 by Envy
Ugh..

I mentioned a few months back how I was annoyed because librarians were taking the piss out of my mother and I for borrowing so many books so frequently..

Now I'm even more annoyed at the local libraries, as they're charging everyone 1 GBP to borrow a book each time, regardless of whether you're elderly, in full-time education, under 13, whatever. They're ignoring those factors completely and sticking a charge on all loans.

It's ridiculous..as if there weren't enough people using the local library already. I know I won't be borrowing anymore. Library books are generally in an appalling state as it is - I sure as hell wouldn't pay 1 GBP for each book..With the amount I renew and borrow, I'd be better off buying off of eBay or Amazon.

Children, students who have research topics and elderly are really the only ones who regularly use the local library.. Children's books just aren't worth the 1 GBP charge at all. They have what? 50 pages per book in some of them, with most pages being full of pictures? It's disgusting to throw a charge on children's loaning in particular..

I'm damn happy my college education ends this year and I'll have university libraries to borrow from soon..Those charges would've affected people in my year quite badly, as tons of stuff you have to do relies on research from books etc..And college libraries have barely anything in them. I think ours is only 20 small shelves full at the most, and it's not very logical to buy books that you need to research from as you generally only pick out small sections that are relevant to your area of study..

:angry: Just not happy at all about this. You might be thinking 'Hey it's only 1 GBP per loan, it's good to pay for that kind of service'...But we bloody already pay in taxes, which have gone up steeply this year as it is! Add in the fact that university fees triple starting 2012 and England's higher educational system seems to be going down the drain RAPIDLY.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #32229 by black_magnolia
Envy, I would also be appealed in your place with your library! They started charging per book? Are they mad? Is this common in other places of the world?

Here you pay a yearly membership fee and depending on the library and your status (child/student/adult/pensioner), the fee is somewhere between 40 to 100 HRK (1 GBP is rougly 8.80 HRK). I'm a member of five libraries in total (two public ones, three university ones). Hell, at the amount of books I borrow, I don't even wish to imagine having to pay per book. :S

Our libraries are very good in regards to the state of their books and the amount. Regularly they exchange the old ones and people generally look after the books they borrow. The ones that get sorted out by the library for any reason, you can take home if you like. None land in the garbage. I managed to snatch a good deal of law books and fiction books that way...

Also here, you can become a member of an university library if you are in high-school/collage. You just have to bring a note from your school to prove it.
So much about the worth of education... :huh:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #32230 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy, I would also be appealed in your place with your library! They started charging per book? Are they mad? Is this common in other places of the world?

Here you pay a yearly membership fee and depending on the library and your status (child/student/adult/pensioner), the fee is somewhere between 40 to 100 HRK (1 GBP is rougly 8.80 HRK). I'm a member of five libraries in total (two public ones, three university ones). Hell, at the amount of books I borrow, I don't even wish to imagine having to pay per book. :S

Our libraries are very good in regards to the state of their books and the amount. Regularly they exchange the old ones and people generally look after the books they borrow. The ones that get sorted out by the library for any reason, you can take home if you like. None land in the garbage. I managed to snatch a good deal of law books and fiction books that way...

Also here, you can become a member of an university library if you are in high-school/collage. You just have to bring a note from your school to prove it.
So much about the worth of education... :huh:

I don't know about the rest of the world..

Over here, I'm not aware of membership fees - As far as I'm aware, the local council is in charge and the library upkeep is paid for using local taxes, so there wouldn't be membership options..There are tons of cuts going on right now because of this stupid government, so lots of places have lost funding and are trying to get extra money to make sure they don't have to shut down. In this case, the library is charging per book..I don't see it working. At all.

Basically the government is trying to make the ordinary citizens of this country pay for their massive borrowing debt, in a stupidly short amount of time.

The college libraries are free as well if you're a college student at that college, but they're very, very small, particularly for non-fiction. University libraries are free as well for students of that particular university, as far as I'm aware. Government funding and university fees usually goes towards that upkeep I think - But of course, as I mentioned before, the government is cutting university funding as well, so our university fees are tripling from 3.3k a year to 9k a year in 2012 to pay for resources and lecturer's salaries...

They're really placing the weight of debt on the younger generation in this country..

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds