Show Navigation Menu

What REALLY annoys you?

More
13 years 3 months ago #30318 by Kuroboshi
I know we probably shouldn't question other peoples annoyances as I'm about to do but it's an annoyance of mine in itself.

Firstly, I researched a little, Zilknitha and according to what I found, your annoyance with the title \"Neds\" comes from you thinking it's annoying or stupid, however, researching it, I'm assuming the 2010 film, it's based in Scotland and is actually about youths in Scotland who would fit into the ned culture that exists here. Yes, that is an actual word here and we do use it. So frankly, it's a fitting title since it tells you the subject of the movie which most movies do in a way.

Secondly, \"Octopussy\" is actually an Ian Fleming short story and was used in part for the movie \"Octopussy\" which is why it retains the title.

It's not down to the studios for the latter coming up with, what you would consider, a joke name, it's something the author came up with.

Sorry for the rant guys, I get pretty annoyed when people seem to do a lack of research into why things were chosen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #30362 by black_magnolia
Another thing that really annoys me is when I get 404 or any other type of error on this forum. :angry:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 3 months ago #30365 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What REALLY annoys you?
Kuroboshi wrote:

I know we probably shouldn't question other peoples annoyances as I'm about to do but it's an annoyance of mine in itself.

Firstly, I researched a little, Zilknitha and according to what I found, your annoyance with the title \"Neds\" comes from you thinking it's annoying or stupid, however, researching it, I'm assuming the 2010 film, it's based in Scotland and is actually about youths in Scotland who would fit into the ned culture that exists here. Yes, that is an actual word here and we do use it. So frankly, it's a fitting title since it tells you the subject of the movie which most movies do in a way.

:P I thought 'ned' stood for non-educated delinquents?

Just like how we have 'Newts' (Not in Education, Work or Training) and 'Chavs' in England. Although there are more variants on what 'chav' stands for. I think the most accurate is probably 'council house, alcohol, violence'. :blink:

More
13 years 3 months ago #30371 by Kuroboshi
I think the word 'ned' started first then it got thought of standing for that.

Probably because it's an accurate summary of the scum.

The best variant of what 'chav' stands for that I've heard is 'council housing asscociated vermin', though that's only because it made me laugh when I got told it.

More
13 years 3 months ago #30407 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What REALLY annoys you?
What does \"council house\" mean, exactly? I've heard the term before, and I think I sort of know what it means... People who are on welfare/social assistance, and who are found apartments or houses by the government department that distributes the benefits. Am I close?

black_magnolia, I agree with you 100% on the 404 errors! Seems to be that time of the month for the forum, as it's always around the first of the month when I get them.

More
13 years 3 months ago #30410 by Kuroboshi
Pretty much hit the nail on the head, Morgana.

However, it goes beyond that when it comes to chavs to mean people who are just generally no good, have no motivation to better themselves, are often violent/in trouble with the law etc...

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds