Show Navigation Menu

If you were in charge of your country...

More
13 years 6 months ago #26851 by iHauntTheSepulchre
@Envy: We already have enough people living on the streets here, I don't think we can cope with any more...

At the moment the only change I'd make is to scrap the govenment's plan to build a hige pipeline through the Murray/Darling Basin because all they're doing is taking the water away from the people who need it most: our farmers. Their income depends on water and the drought hasn't finished yet.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #26902 by knumpcy
*Good luck having the country run without a monetary system. We'd see how quickly they'd kick you out due to having a lack of trade and such, I can assure you that America couldn't produce everything that is needed to sustain itself.*

The Native Americans did it quite well in this country before the greedy Europeans took over this country(it is called the Barter System), and there are enough resources in the US to sustain itself, America chooses to use the resources of other countries as not to deplete its own and hire cheap labor abroad as well. As for the Controlled substances I am referring to Cannabis, coca, and other forms that other countries and individuals are profiting from.

That is another reason why too many today forget the past and react blindly with ignorance. That is why the US is in the state it is and its decline started with the stock market starting in 1792.

Envy wrote:

Ooh. Funny thing is - I would seriously scrap benefits.

In China, people are motivated to work hard, aim for the top and be competitive because you don't have things like benefits. If you don't do well - You're on the streets, and probably will be kidnapped by the Chinese mafia and have your limbs cut off and then be put back out on the streets to beg for money - Which the mafia will come and collect before sending you back out.

:blink: I'm not joking.

Wealth is something that can be passed on. If you and your family are responsible and work hard, you'll be able to sustain yourself. If not. Well. Natural selection. :pinch:

Uhhm..As for prisons. Well. I'd follow the policy of people suffering what they've done to others. An eye for an eye. ;)

And uhh..Regarding removal of alcohol and tobacco limits = Agree! It's been shown to benefit countries because use of alcohol and tobacco is no longer seen as rebellious by children so there's less incentive to start.

Supposedly.

Bravo Envy!

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
13 years 6 months ago #26905 by Kuroboshi
knumpcy wrote:

*Good luck having the country run without a monetary system. We'd see how quickly they'd kick you out due to having a lack of trade and such, I can assure you that America couldn't produce everything that is needed to sustain itself.*

The Native Americans did it quite well in this country before the greedy Europeans took over this country(it is called the Barter System), and there are enough resources in the US to sustain itself, America chooses to use the resources of other countries as not to deplete its own and hire cheap labor abroad as well. As for the Controlled substances I am referring to Cannabis, coca, and other forms that other countries and individuals are profiting from.

Tell me, exactly how many countries work on a barter system right now?

A monetary system makes life easier within trade as it allows you to trade an item for the value in a certain amount of money which can then be traded further for supplies.

If anything, it's a reliable barter system due to the fact there is no hassle in a person not needing an item and such, as it is accepted in trades for pretty much anything.

The barter system you propose is inherently flawed these days especially after those \"greedy Europeans\" (whom you are likely descended from in some manner) had taken over the country.

Say I have item X and I trade it for item Y. The one I traded with now needs more of item Y however, no-one trading for item Y needs item X. The seller then needs to go look for item Z which may mean multiple steps of trading simply so he can restock on item X.

So yeah, a monetary system is perhaps the best system these days (indeed, all you are doing is replacing the singular currency with multiple forms of currency, be it items or labour) as it is, as I have said, a singular currency which is accepted throughout the country.

And I certainly hope you don't include the addictive drug Cocaine in your legalisation of Coca.

More
13 years 6 months ago #26916 by Envy
A barter system - it's an intriguing idea. Going back to basics. The downside to it would be that a barter system only works where two parties have something to trade which they both want. That would be the difficulty I see in implementing a back-to-basics barter economy, as America in particular is such a vast country with each area having certain attributes meaning not everything can be produced locally (as far as I'm aware?).

The only way I can see around it is if lots of land was err..re-agriculturalised? In order to produce everything people would require and want without hassles of transporting goods long distances (which would further require more trades, more wants, more costs)..I would imagine the result to be something like Hitler's 'Volksgemeinschaft' (People's Community)..I don't like to reference Hitler, but 'Volksgemeinschaft' is a very unusual idea where basically (for those who don't know), the idea was to create farming communities, families with strong 'breadwinner' fathers and lots of childbearing mothers. It was a pretty utopia-like, 'back to basics' idea.

My question would be, would you retain the development of 'technological' goods like 'iPod's and computers? Not sure how a barter system would work with those, as it takes many people to create one iPod etc.

Like I said, I would imagine a barter economy system to be literally going back to agricultural work. *Shrug*

More
13 years 6 months ago #26938 by Morgana
If I was in charge, I'd scrap the Young Offenders Act. That's a law that relates to people who are under age 18, and convicted of an offense. The media is not allowed to publish their name, they get a much lighter sentence than an adult would for the same thing, and I'm pretty sure their records are sealed once they turn 18.

I think the original intent was to keep young people from being branded criminals, and give them a chance to turn their life around as they get older. In theory, it's a great idea, at least for minor offences such as shop-lifting or minor vandalism. I know those aren't \"victimless crimes\", but they are fairly low on the scale of destructiveness. The problem is that the kids know they can, quite literally, get away with murder, and there's nothing that the police or judicial system can do to stop them.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #26939 by knumpcy
Envy wrote:

A barter system - it's an intriguing idea. Going back to basics. The downside to it would be that a barter system only works where two parties have something to trade which they both want. That would be the difficulty I see in implementing a back-to-basics barter economy, as America in particular is such a vast country with each area having certain attributes meaning not everything can be produced locally (as far as I'm aware?).

The only way I can see around it is if lots of land was err..re-agriculturalised? In order to produce everything people would require and want without hassles of transporting goods long distances (which would further require more trades, more wants, more costs)..I would imagine the result to be something like Hitler's 'Volksgemeinschaft' (People's Community)..I don't like to reference Hitler, but 'Volksgemeinschaft' is a very unusual idea where basically (for those who don't know), the idea was to create farming communities, families with strong 'breadwinner' fathers and lots of childbearing mothers. It was a pretty utopia-like, 'back to basics' idea.

My question would be, would you retain the development of 'technological' goods like 'iPod's and computers? Not sure how a barter system would work with those, as it takes many people to create one iPod etc.

Like I said, I would imagine a barter economy system to be literally going back to agricultural work. *Shrug*

You are correct in every manner, but if those that are as old as I and do remember that the US made every thing here with no worries of lost resources period if the WORLD system did not get involved. The US when producing Cannabis had most things covered until an idiot stated in front of the Congress and Senate in the time period 1946-1955 stated that \"who will we have to fight our wars if everyone is smoking pot\" and hence begun the bans, with the help of DuPont as well and the cotton industry ...damn buggar should have died in the gun powder explosion(Seriously!). You have to remember that Sony was a failed toaster maker before they became the giant that they are and the Asians are the best copiers of every facet of technology on the planet besides India (Hello Apple and Microsoft!) \"Once you get away from a set price of worth the value of a humans creation is priceless\" my own quote at the moment stands clear and please challenge me I have hundreds of years of knowledge stored with in me and can challenge you in any manner...peacefully of course..Maybe over a glass of a pleasant Merlot...

I may seem barbaric in so many manners but the ways of the new is not the way to be, a simple look into pasts brilliance may give you better light...Remember that what you are learning today is dictated to you and is controlled...Challenge at every stage of your existence and know right from wrong. The leaders of today are apart of the same ones from the last(1900's) century that have planned their control out well..Without freewill you are mute and I do not recognize you...Good Day!

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by knumpcy.

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds