Show Navigation Menu

Ancestry.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25816 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Ancestry.
Almost everything that I know about my ancestry, I've found out form my great grandparents and grandparents. I written a family-tree with the info I wrote down while listening to them. It goes some 8 generations back. I'll try to gather more info, like exact dates of birth and death etc. when I have more time.
I have a lot of old documents and letters from my great grandparents that I still have to got through.
The letters between my great grandparents are the most dear to me. They were written during World War 2.
My great grandfather was serving in the Italian army and was captured by the British at the Battle of Sicily and spent some years in prison. I loved listening to them retelling me everything that happened during WW1 and WW2. Most of the stories were horrible, so I won't retell them here, it would also be just too long. When I think about it, my family had a lot of luck. My grandparents both almost lost their lives, one because of Nazis, the other because of Fascists...
I'm just very proud of my ancestors. :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25817 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Ancestry.
Wow!

You're so lucky to know so much about your ancestors!

The majority of elders on my mother's side had a bad habit of dying young, so a lot of the history there is lost..I want to know more..

It's awkward because none of us have contact details to the older ones - Only reason I know about them at all is because they were contacted to attend my uncle's funeral..Plus they live all over the world now. :unsure:

The amount we do know is minor too..I've seen about 3-4 of my deceased grandmother's siblings, but apparently, there are a lot more of them out there. I know that their families were huuge..Makes things easier and harder in ways.

Easier because you're more likely to find out about one of them, harder because the information given probably won't be very detailed and the more people there are, the easier it is to lose track and lose contact.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25821 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Ancestry.
Thank you! :)

It is really hard to gather info when there is a lot of ancestors.
Example: one of my great great grandmothers had circa 20 children; from those there were 3 or 4 pairs of twins (not sure exactly on the count, would have to check the family three). I think only one of those twins survived till adulthood. Mostly in that days one or both twins died as babies.

It's very interesting to investigate your ancestry. Naturally it's easier when you have a lot of your ancestors still alive so you can get first hand info. :silly:
Another curious thing with birth dates is that laws were different in the past and children had to be registered the same day they were born (or something like that), so my grandfather has June 6th written in his birth certificate but he was born June 3rd. :silly:
I also heard that in some counties in the country, all people got January 1st written in the certificate because of administrative laziness, so when researching such things you should really go into detail so that you get exact information.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25824 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Ancestry.
:blink: Wow, I never knew that before. As if researching wasn't hard enough already!

^.^ I do know that twins *used* to run on the female side of my mother's family..I don't really know where that's gone now, as only my mother and one of her sisters had children and not many at that.

Just hoping that gene (?) hasn't skipped to me. :pinch: Wouldn't be able to walk if I had two kids in there.

Hmm..Hope I have time this weekend to spare. It'd be nice to sit with my parents and see how far back they can map our family roots.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25843 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Ancestry.
Envy, I've heard that twins tend to skip a generation... so if your mother or her siblings didn't have twins, it might hit your generation after all!

I know a bit about my mother's side of the family, especially her mother's side. They're from the Channel Islands (I think Jersey, although I'm not totally sure on that). One of my aunts knows all the details, and she's writing it all out so there'll be a written record of it... looking forward to getting my copy! I really don't know much at all about my father's side, and there's no one that I can ask. I did manage to find out that his mother was from Scotland, and her mother was born in the Shetland Islands. And I think my father's father was from Wales, but again I'm not totally sure.

I've tried looking online at some of the genealogy websites, but I always seem to hit a roadblock and give up in frustration.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25851 by Izcoatl
Replied by Izcoatl on topic Re:Ancestry.
Well, Im a mexican guy, almost all my family has Spain blood, but in my mother's side we have a few part of Mexican, Spain and Indian blood, on my fathers side it seems we have Spain and Turquish blood, haha rare mixture

And in the family history i have a grand-grand father who fought in the Mexican Revolution, and the other fought in the Cristian War on my mother's side dunno it seems they lost a lot of contact with the family

Fire doesn't clean, it Blackens

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds