Show Navigation Menu

Ancestry.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25857 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Ancestry.
I guess what frustrates me is that in England, there's tons of online resources for finding your ancestry, but it's only relevant if your family's been predominantly in this area of land for lots of generations.

Online resources become useless here if your ancestry spreads further out. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25860 by Izcoatl
Replied by Izcoatl on topic Re:Ancestry.
Envy wrote:

I guess what frustrates me is that in England, there's tons of online resources for finding your ancestry, but it's only relevant if your family's been predominantly in this area of land for lots of generations.

Online resources become useless here if your ancestry spreads further out. :(

I had to harass almost all my family so they can tell me more of the family blood line, i spend around 1 year and a half to discover the small piece of info i have

Fire doesn't clean, it Blackens

More
13 years 7 months ago #25905 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Ancestry.
I don't know anyone that had any real luck with finding his ancestors through those internet sites.
One of my friends tried to find the birth records for her family members, which were all stored in the local church where most of her family lived. Happens so that the church was burned down during the war so all records are lost. Her grandfather still can't get a birth certificate because he formally doesn't even exists.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25916 by Tater21
Replied by Tater21 on topic Re:Ancestry.
I would love to learn all about my ancestors and think it's awesome when people manage to find new things out. Unfortunatly I've not done so well in finding things out but I do know I have English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Dutch and American in me so a bit of a mixture there! As for recent developements I found out a few weeks ago I have a half brother who has two little girls!

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #25934 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Ancestry.
Most of the online sites that I've found make you sign up, and then charge you for the information, so I haven't really spent much time on them. The little bit that I did find out was from our provincial vital statistics database, but that's pretty limited. It only shows births, marriages and deaths that actually occurred in this province, so you can't track anyone who came from another country (or even another province) unless they married or died here. And the births are only listed up to the 1920s... something to do with privacy concerns, I think, is why they don't list anything newer. It gets frustrating very quickly though.

I did find one disturbing thing. There was a birth certificate for a child who died only a few hours after birth, and under cause of death was written \"monstrosity\". The records are scanned in and the hand-writing was hard to read, but I'm almost positive that's what it said. I still haven't figured out if it was a relative, or just someone with the same last name though.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Morgana.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25940 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Ancestry.
Morgana wrote:

I did find one disturbing thing. There was a birth certificate for a child who died only a few hours after birth, and under cause of death was written \"monstrosity\". The records are scanned in and the hand-writing was hard to read, but I'm almost positive that's what it said. I still haven't figured out if it was a relative, or just someone with the same last name though.

:unsure: Wow..What year was the death?

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds