Show Navigation Menu

Eating Habits

More
13 years 7 months ago #25746 by Poledra1a
Replied by Poledra1a on topic Re:Eating Habits
I was wondering what quinoa was! I saw it advertised as a new type of \"bought loaf\" pre-sliced bread and it sounded interesting. Be interesting to see/ know what it tastes like!

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25842 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Eating Habits
Poledra1a wrote:

I was wondering what quinoa was! I saw it advertised as a new type of \"bought loaf\" pre-sliced bread and it sounded interesting. Be interesting to see/ know what it tastes like!

It has a very \"earthy\" taste to it, which reminds me of alfalfa sprouts. But it's not an over-powering flavour at all, and I think it'll be similar to tofu, and pick up the flavour of whatever else you put with it. I'm going to look around online to see if I can find some casserole recipes that specifically call for it.

The directions said to rinse it well before cooking, so I did. Not sure what would happen if you didn't though. Oh, and it's pronounced \"keen-wa\", if anyone is interested...

More
13 years 6 months ago #25859 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Eating Habits
Well..Tomorrow will be interesting. My first Chinese wedding feast.

:P I'll try to remember what kind of food there is..I just know that every dish/meal is representative of something in life.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25864 by Izcoatl
Replied by Izcoatl on topic Re:Eating Habits
mmm... i used to dinner at 11.00pm or maybe 12.00pm a bowl of Corn flakes, i love flakes for dinner, and sometimes when some frineds come at night to have a chat, we dinner tacos ( taco = pork/cow/goat meat in a tortilla ( tortilla is a circle [like the pizza bread but smaller, around 10 cm] made of corn lump ))

Fire doesn't clean, it Blackens

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #25943 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Eating Habits
Ahh the wedding was incredible!

To summarise, I learned that after the official wedding (signing of papers etc), the newlyweds make their way to a restaurant or somewhere to eat..

Once everyone's settled, they will 'invite' lots of the elder relatives to tea with them, where the relative, e.g. usually aunties and uncles/mothers and fathers (one pair at a time), will sit on a chair each and and newlywed couple will kneel before the relative of the same gender and offer them a cup of tea. The relatives then drink and offer the couple 'lucky money' (money in special red envelopes).

After the meals, the groom and best man (from what I could see) would go around each table and have a toast/drink/'thanks for coming' with each one (a real challenge - there were 14 tables at the wedding I attended which meant 14 drinks (both men have to drink a whole glass with each table). Awkward when you're Asian. The best man actually ended up throwing up in the bathroom).

:woohoo: Oh..Reminds me. Right at the beginning, everyone was passing around weird patches which supposedly aided you in handling alcohol better. Never seen that before.

Anyway. That wedding feast lasted 3 hours and was incredible! I took a photo of the menu for you all. ^.^

13 courses! But in Chinese culture, it's always one big dish placed in the middle of the table for everyone to take a bit to their bowl, so it wasn't *that* much food.

EDIT: Hah, just realised. 13 is a lucky Chinese number. ^.^ Mm..Everything in that meal is representative of something. I just can't remember what's what.

...Argh. My father just told me something else. That soup (which I absolutely adored, it was delicious) contained some shark fin. Damn.

Oh and another thing!

The bride and groom's immediate family (or close to immediate, e.g. elder aunties and uncles) would sit on two raised tables (one for each side of the family). They had *gold* serving bowls/dishes/cutlery etc.!
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25961 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Eating Habits
Envy, that menu looks fantastic! I'm now hungry just from reading it! :P
When my cousin had his wedding the party lasted the whole night, till 6 a.m.!
I can't remember how many courses there were, I think 5 or more... The food was pretty heavy, because they live far out in the continent so there is much more fattier stuff. I didn't complain because most of it was cooked from ingredients that they grow on their farm. :)
There was also a lot of alcohol, but no one got very drunk that they were sick from it. :silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds