Show Navigation Menu

If you had to...

More
13 years 11 months ago #21025 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:If you had to...
scootiebee wrote:

Also, a woman who lost her sense of some types of touch, who ended up burning herself very badly, and didn't even realize it. I can't imagine that.

:laugh: That does remind me of something - A friend of mine is an incredibly deep sleeper. I've probably mentioned this before, but once, his arm was stretched out as he slept and his skin was touching the lightbulb of his bedside table lamp..

His skin burned as he slept and he awoke to a very sore and blistered hand.

..Still slept clean through it though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21028 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:If you had to...
I can't imagine burning myself in my sleep. I am a pretty heavy sleeper, but I don't think I can sleep through actual physical injury. Tim will sometimes roll over and flap his arm over my face or something, and that always wakes me up, and it doesn't even hurt. Actually painful thing? I will be up and screaming.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
13 years 11 months ago #21099 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:If you had to...
scootiebee wrote:

I definitely wouldn't want to lose smell or taste. They are incredibly intertwined. Try an experiment. Plug your nose (pinch it closed so you can't breathe in), and then eat something without smelling at all. Very different.

I've tried that experiment since I was six years old, and never got a different taste out. It's always the same taste, even if I'm trying to smell something else when eating.

But trying to think about something else may mess up my taste. Like thinking about milk, really wanting a cold glass of milk, and then having a glass of orange juice... that's weird.

And about sleep, I'm also a deep sleeper. Never hurt myself when sleeping, but tossed a lamp on the floor so it broke. Scared my parents on the floor below, but didn't wake me.

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
13 years 11 months ago #21101 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:If you had to...
CorpseQueen wrote:

scootiebee wrote:

I definitely wouldn't want to lose smell or taste. They are incredibly intertwined. Try an experiment. Plug your nose (pinch it closed so you can't breathe in), and then eat something without smelling at all. Very different.

I've tried that experiment since I was six years old, and never got a different taste out. It's always the same taste, even if I'm trying to smell something else when eating.

But trying to think about something else may mess up my taste. Like thinking about milk, really wanting a cold glass of milk, and then having a glass of orange juice... that's weird.

And about sleep, I'm also a deep sleeper. Never hurt myself when sleeping, but tossed a lamp on the floor so it broke. Scared my parents on the floor below, but didn't wake me.

When I've tried pinching my nose and eating, I don't often get much of a difference anyway. Supposedly most of the taste of something is actually through the smell it gives off, so knowing that makes me content to just sniff chocolate or something at times, haha.

My logic is 'most of the flavour and none of the fat'? :woohoo:

When I think about something else and eat something different, it messes with my taste as well. Really strange when I have cravings for food and I eat something different to fill the gap.

:P The friend I mentioned there has also managed to crash into his bedside table corner, giving himself a black eye, without waking up and he's had a picture frame fall onto his head in the night without waking as well.

When I think about it, I admire him for how resilient he is..I also wonder why he hasn't changed the layout of his bedroom.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #21128 by Serpenvicis
Replied by Serpenvicis on topic Re:If you had to...
Envy wrote:

scootiebee wrote:

Also, a woman who lost her sense of some types of touch, who ended up burning herself very badly, and didn't even realize it. I can't imagine that.

:laugh: That does remind me of something - A friend of mine is an incredibly deep sleeper. I've probably mentioned this before, but once, his arm was stretched out as he slept and his skin was touching the lightbulb of his bedside table lamp..

His skin burned as he slept and he awoke to a very sore and blistered hand.

..Still slept clean through it though.

One of my friend was asleep on a bunk bed and fell down. She has broken her nose, but she didn't even realized she fell down, so she went to her mom and said : \"Mom, something fell down in our house\" . I laughed for 2 hours when she told me that. :woohoo:

Wanting to be like someone else, we forget who we really are.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Serpenvicis.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22315 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:If you had to...
Regarding senses... I've started to wear ear plugs while studying because I find the bar (well, the drunk people) under my window distracting, and I found out that the lack of sound is quite soothing and that I don't miss all the noise around me, so I think I have to change my answer about losing one of my senses in favour of hearing. :silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds