Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
12 years 11 months ago #32657 by black_magnolia
I wasn't watching a lot of tv lately, so I didn't notice any royal wedding hype. :huh:

I must confess that I'm a bit interested in the wedding, because I wasn't really bombarded with so much info about it, so I'm looking forward to this evening when they'll be airing some best-of of the wedding.
Plain simple curiosity + boredom (nothing better on tv). :silly: I did already google Kate's wedding dress and think it's simply gorgeous! :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #32663 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
orkangel wrote:

I've just been to town to do some shopping and its business as usual, no one seems to care. None of my customers have been enthusiastic at all. Maybe its a south of England thing.I was just wondering who is going to provide her family with sufficient cash to live in the manner to which they are about to become accustomed ?

Taxpayers probably...*Rolls eyes*...I live in the Midlands and there's little hype, just the odd royal fanatics who have gathered in the city centre. Most of us are just happy for the day off to be honest.

I don't understand why people bothered sleeping out on the streets all week to wait for the wedding - Lots of people didn't get to see much due to the sheer amount of people there (many didn't see the dress until the couple appeared on the balcony)..And is it really worth that effort just for the crowded, noisy and claustrophobic atmosphere?

Well. I and a lot of other British people have better things to do..

We got to see all of the best parts when they summarised it on the news in..What? 10 minutes? Without all of this 'let's ask the crowd to do something entertaining for you viewers out there while we're waiting!' crap they've been doing all morning (my parents had to watch..They're not fanatics but they love history and 'significant events'. The damned noise of the crowd on TV woke me up).

I guess I was mildly interested in the dress - But that's just me anyway. I like dresses. It was a beautiful little thing and who can dislike lace after all? I think she (or whoever else helped her pick it) was pretty wise not to go overboard with a massive Diana-styled dress. That really wouldn't have gone down well with the ones who are aware of the economic climate and the cost of this whole ordeal..Let's just hope it pulled in more economic positives than negatives. Apparently 'Will & Kate' merchandise popped up worldwide and I'm presuming the attempt at media hype was to help sell it to help our economy...

I'm just still annoyed at the whole rub-wedding-in-everyone's-face attitude that's been saturating the media this week, but no doubt I'll have to listen to more of this talk when I get back to college next week.

You're so lucky Magnolia! A friend of mine even stated on Facebook that she has 5 basic channels and ALL were taken up by royal all-sorts this week..Even now, my TV is still pouring out princess-themed stuff..
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Envy.

More
12 years 11 months ago #32669 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
There's been lots of coverage in Canada as well, which I suppose does make sense, since we used to be a colony. I haven't been actively following, but it is very hard to avoid. I thought her dress was really pretty as well... much nicer than those big frothy types. I don't really agree with everyone who goes on about how good-looking William is though. Anyone familiar with a Monty Python skit called Upper Class Twit of the Year? I think of that every time I see him...

We're having a federal election on Monday, but the wedding coverage has even been overpowering all that hoopla lately. I haven't really been following that either. All the parties are running \"attack ads\", where they run down the other parties and say how awful they'd be if they were in power. No one seems to say what they would do to improve things themselves though.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #32673 by StephenG
Replied by StephenG on topic Re: What's in the news?
AWWWW....

ain't they cute?

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by StephenG. Reason: God save the future King & Queen

More
12 years 11 months ago #32674 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: What's in the news?
black_magnolia wrote:

I wasn't watching a lot of tv lately, so I didn't notice any royal wedding hype. :huh:

I must confess that I'm a bit interested in the wedding, because I wasn't really bombarded with so much info about it, so I'm looking forward to this evening when they'll be airing some best-of of the wedding.
Plain simple curiosity + boredom (nothing better on tv). :silly: I did already google Kate's wedding dress and think it's simply gorgeous! :)

I'm in a similar situation in that I haven't been watching a lot of TV so didn't see the hype on it. Usually I'd put on something out of boredom but I just avoided doing that knowing there's a chance it'd be something I really hated.

Heh...They even had \"Shrek\" playing today, I love that movie but didn't enjoy it as much when I realised why it may have been playing.

The weirdest thing is though, is that people I've been talking to have complained about the day off, which really surprised me. This guy I know hates the morning section of his college course and he said he'd rather be in for the day of work than have a day off.

I think the whole reason for there being more interest in other countries is that they're not footing the bill. British taxpayers are. Like we have to do for the rest of the Royal Family's expenses. They're hardly any better than people who rely on benefits.

The projected loss in total for the economy giving the day off was in the billions from what I'd read/heard on the radio etc... Even at that, the taxpayers are footing the bill for the wedding and they're not getting that back at all. Sure, some stuff related to the wedding will be sold. Are the taxpayers themselves going to get a share of the money from that? Not at all. It's going to go to who is selling that shit, maybe part to the Royal Family but in the end, there are no benefits from it to the taxpayers that I can see.

So, let's assume the cost is £30m. I've got something here regarding the AV referendum that estimates the cost of that being £250m in total. I see that as something important, sure, it's a high cost (note: This is basically a Tory smear campaign against it) but let's assume it was right.

It's been said before that the cost of the wedding is roughly that of 300 doctors but I'll add more to that in what else it could pay for.

Roughly:
755 Teachers
972 Nurses
4,306 Hip replacements
8,379 School places

I'm going to give it a few days then everyone will stop talking about it and we can all move on with our lives, just a cost like that during a time when, to quote this thing \"people are losing their jobs or having their pay frozen\", should we really be spending so much on the marriage of someone who only has this status by being related to someone who was a leader in a, now outdated, system? Makes me really wish the health complications from the incest had killed them all off.

More
12 years 11 months ago #32683 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
Morgana wrote:

I don't really agree with everyone who goes on about how good-looking William is though. Anyone familiar with a Monty Python skit called Upper Class Twit of the Year? I think of that every time I see him...

Well you know..Money makes you attractive..But my mother and I can't help but gawp at the significant balding patch on William's head. At such a young age too... :blink:

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds