Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 2 months ago #31392 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
Heh.

The ruling of the ECJ about car premium prices for women. Due to eliminating inequality, our car insurance costs will now go up by quiiiite a bit, which is just crap as a student driver. Complete insurance costs typically 3k for me if I was the main driver of a car..It's now set to be 5k by next year. It's just not worth it.

I'm not even sure if it's worth being jointly covered on a parent's car..That'd be 1k ish per year.

It just annoys me because yes, fine, equality is great, but the problem is that equality is just theoretical for other things, like equal pay. Even though by law, we're meant to have equal pay, statistically, there are still pay differentials between men and women doing the same jobs with the same skills..If we have to pay the same as a man for car insurance whilst still receiving lower pay for the same job..Well. It's shit, to be frank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #31400 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
Envy wrote:

Heh.

The ruling of the ECJ about car premium prices for women. Due to eliminating inequality, our car insurance costs will now go up by quiiiite a bit, which is just crap as a student driver. Complete insurance costs typically 3k for me if I was the main driver of a car..It's now set to be 5k by next year. It's just not worth it.

I'm not even sure if it's worth being jointly covered on a parent's car..That'd be 1k ish per year.

It just annoys me because yes, fine, equality is great, but the problem is that equality is just theoretical for other things, like equal pay. Even though by law, we're meant to have equal pay, statistically, there are still pay differentials between men and women doing the same jobs with the same skills..If we have to pay the same as a man for car insurance whilst still receiving lower pay for the same job..Well. It's shit, to be frank.

Ouch! That's a heck of a jump in prices!

I wonder if it's the government's way of trying to get more cars off of the roads? Just make it too expensive for people to drive, and thereby reduce the greenhouse gas emissions...

More
13 years 2 months ago #31413 by Envy
Morgana wrote:

I wonder if it's the government's way of trying to get more cars off of the roads? Just make it too expensive for people to drive, and thereby reduce the greenhouse gas emissions...

I doubt it, seeing as it was due to the ECJ ruling and therefore supposedly out of our control. :huh: Everyone agrees it's ridiculous to make our country so 'green' anyway - We're a tiny dot on this planet! Compared to China and the USA.

I'm just really annoyed..It looks like I won't be driving until after I've finished university at this rate. Only my first choice uni will have student car parking and there's not much point in a car there because you get a discount bus fare and that uni is the only one in the country with its own train station.

The other uni that I visited today doesn't even have student parking, and because it's near London, parking just adds to the price. I wouldn't really drive many places either..So..Not much point in paying so much for insurance when that money could be used towards my future degree debts..:(

More
13 years 2 months ago #31430 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
Envy wrote:

Morgana wrote:

I doubt it, seeing as it was due to the ECJ ruling and therefore supposedly out of our control. :huh: Everyone agrees it's ridiculous to make our country so 'green' anyway - We're a tiny dot on this planet! Compared to China and the USA.

Ah OK... that was just the first thought that popped into my head when I read your first post.

More
13 years 1 month ago #31613 by Envy
*Lots* of strikes are planned in England for the upcoming year. :huh: Government is cutting funding like hell and making everyone work longer with less of a pension.

It's not sounding brilliant. All we hear on the news now is crap that makes life worse really. Cuts to everything..Council funding, roads, more taxes, longer working years, less pay..Oh. Watching the news is a real downer with this government in power..

More
13 years 1 month ago #31620 by black_magnolia
In our news it's also a lot about people being dissatisfied with the current government. We had a lot of protests in the last days, some were also a bit violent.
My mom was pretty annoying with everyday calls to tell me to keep away from protesters so that I don't get hurt yada yada yada, but Zagreb is such a big city that I wasn't even near all the protesters. :silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds