Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 3 months ago #29718 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
Really strange about the weather stuff in our news.

This morning, we had 3 different news stories about extreme-weather-floods all over the world. :S I never noticed it until I remembered Morgana's post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29728 by black_magnolia
Our news are flooded with the situation in Tunis. But I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to be able paste all the informations together in my head. Sounds really bad, the president fled the country and left the people alone... :(

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #29734 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Our news are flooded with the situation in Tunis. But I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to be able paste all the informations together in my head. Sounds really bad, the president fled the country and left the people alone... :(

Fled the country?! I didn't hear that part! :ohmy: Whatever happened to 'captain goes down with the ship'?

What a nasty start to the year.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29739 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

Fled the country?! I didn't hear that part! :ohmy: Whatever happened to 'captain goes down with the ship'?

What a nasty start to the year.

Yup, was just on the news like a hour ago. Fled to Paris if I recall correctly.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #29740 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
This has been in the news here in the last day or so. A song by Dire Straits called Money for Nothing is being censored for the use of the word \"faggot\". Someone complained to a radio station about it, and it went to a hearing at the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, who have decided that the song can be played, but must be edited.

It seems a bit strange to me that someone would complain about this now. The song was released in 1985, and doesn't have anything to do with gay people at all. The legalese (which I have not read completely) from the CBSC decision contains the lyrics, although they're pretty easy to make out as is. www.cbsc.ca/english/decisions/2011/110112.php

In protest of censorship, one of our local radio stations is planning to play the unedited version in a continuous loop for an hour tonight, with the support of the local LGBT community. www.q104.ca/blogs.asp?bloggerid=8

“We believe that this decision may trivialize the meaningful work done to further the cause of the LGBT community and could actually work against them, by creating a sense of excessive political correctness at the cost of the fundamental freedom of speech.”

I won't be listening, because I simply don't like the song... it's one of those ones that they play to death, and I'd be happy if I never heard it again in my life. But I really don't think it's offensive at all, if you take it in context of the lyrics. And I know, as a straight person, that it's easy for me to say that. But on the flip side, a lot of the music that I love (Motorhead being my favourite band) would be considered sexist and offensive by a lot of people. This decision just strikes me as being very heavy-handed... I know there are a lot of words that used to be used commonly, but are now considered offensive. However, we can't whitewash history, just to make sure that no one ever gets upset by something that, right or wrong, was common usage at the time.

I know we have a couple of people here studying law... curious to know what you think of this? And everyone else's opinions too, of course!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Morgana. Reason: typos!

More
13 years 3 months ago #29741 by Envy
*Shrug* Well what can I say. We live in a pretty politically-conscious society. Over here, they basically don't allow people to use the word 'blackboard' in classrooms..Even though it's a board..And it is black..It's now a 'chalkboard'.

Some things are just ridiculous.

'Faggot' here has several meanings too. I live in the midlands, so..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

Hmph.

I just find it ridiculous that people feel the need to effectively censor stupid little things due to fear of accidentally offending people or being politically incorrect. Especially when there are more offensive and negative things out there that they could be getting rid of, such as most of the rap crap that's streamed on radios. If you see any 'rapper' videos, you can *pretty much* be certain women will be objectified and if you hear any 'popular' songs, *most* will be likely to encourage young girls to act promiscuous etc.

That's the case here and wahey! As a result, we have a massive population of mothers younger than I, and I'm only just 18!

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds