Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 3 months ago #29673 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
Kuroboshi wrote:

Well, they need different things to talk about in order to keep viewers, Morgana. No-one is going to watch the same thing repeated over and over.

That's true, but not what I meant. I was thinking more along the lines of, are there really more shootings, natural disasters, weird things, etc., happening now? Or is it just that we hear about them more often, due to the 24/7 media coverage? If this thing with the birds had happened 100 years ago, I doubt that it would have gotten worldwide press coverage. Likely the only people who would have heard about it would be those who live in the immediate area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29675 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: What's in the news?
Oh right, my mistake.

Plus you're pretty much right there. Perhaps there are more shootings, natural disasters, etc., now than there was some time ago, we'd have to look up statistics for that, but what we can be sure of is that the 24/7 news outlets are reporting things from all over, rather than just a local paper with local news. The same could be argued that advances in communication (telephone etc.) make it even eaiser to deliver news stories from all over the country or the globe.

If we had no way of obtaining this information then we wouldn't think the same.

Plus nothing sells like shock news/gossip, just look at some of the papers here.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29690 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
S'alright, I probably didn't explain myself too well the first time around.

As for gossip/shocking news... as the saying goes \"if it bleeds, it leads\". Most people do want to hear about bad things happening, as long as it's not to someone they know. Not sure why that is... maybe to make their own problems look better by comparison?

More
13 years 3 months ago #29691 by black_magnolia
In the news they are again reporting about the flu. Had the fourth person here in Croatia die from it this year and I don't really understand why they try to make it look like it's some epidemic and like it's something horrible etc. The death of a person is a sad thing, but every year around 10 persons die becasue of the flu in our country and naturally in other countries too. It's nothing new. On a big number of people with no problems with it, you get a small number of people that have major complications and some also die...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29698 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
Hm. According to a news article which was released a couple hours ago, 112 people have died in the UK from flu, with 95 of those being from swine flu.

>.< Grr. I can tell everyone's cutting costs now because of the government. Normally my brother and I get free flu jabs because we're included in the 'vulnerable people' group. This year - Didn't hear a thing about it.

The doctors are also reluctant to treat people properly because of costs. Everyone I know = Whenever we go to the doctor's, the cure is always either an inhaler or antibiotics.

It's shit like this which results in disasters such as friends of mine being diagnosed too late or sent to the hospital too late and ending up requiring life treatment for things that shouldn't have happened.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29702 by nwbevk
Replied by nwbevk on topic Re: What's in the news?
in the lines of reporting mostly on bad things, our news lately has turned toward the shooting in Arizona. A lady from congress was there for somethin or other, and some guy shows up and starts shooting, killed a young girl and a couple adults, shot the congress woman in the head, but she just opened her eyes yesterday/today sometime and seems to be pulling through.

Other than that it's been mostly major snow storms hitting places that don't usually see snow. Funny to see places shut down for accumulation we shrug off, I know it's more common here than there, but it's still entertaining.

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds