Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 4 months ago #29434 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
nwbevk wrote:

Now the news people are telling us the second batch of birds \"flew into power lines and shocked themselves to death\"... I don't know about the rest of the world, but in my town birds tend to perch on power lines.

That's silly..It's not possible for small birds to shock themselves. :blink: They aren't grounded and their body masses are so small that it isn't enough for the electricity to have any real effect/won't interfere with electricity..That's what I recall from reading something maaany years ago, so forgive me if it's not quite accurate.

:P The media is an odd thing. My economics teacher was telling us today about how people abroad view England from what has reached them in their news - She was asked, in *this day and age* whilst on holiday, whether it was horrible to live in England because of poll tax riots and Jack the Ripper. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #29435 by black_magnolia
Regarding the birds, I found a little article in our local newspaper. They wrote that the birds probably got frightened by the fireworks and therefore flew out of their nest etc. and probably into some hail storm and got hit by lighting and hail... What are the odds? at least this sounds more realistic then the other stuff...

Envy, I think your teacher just got asked such a thing from an individual that most probably isn't informed about current affairs, doesn't even care about them and just wanted to make polite chat and asked a question with the first thing that came to mind.
I've been working part-time in tourism for years and had to answer questions like \"when was the last time you were bombed?\" from a English man that was under the impression that we were still in the middle of the Yugoslavian wars... My thoughts were why are you here in the first place if you think we are still at war, but oh, well, what can I do about it... :huh: Best thing I heard from a tourist here was from an American woman asking why do we have a *copy* of a Ancient Roman amphitheatre in town, wouldn't that have been too expensive to build? *face-palm*

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
13 years 4 months ago #29438 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: What's in the news?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12116051

Piece of news interesting to me. The strongest console (security wise) of this generation has now been broken.

The thing that gets me most is that the people who have done this say they don't condone piracy however they've made the knowledge and how it can be the and the key itself available, knowing this is going to help piracy on the console in a major way. If you don't condone it, why tell them how to do it?

Secondly, one is afraid of a lawsuit (although he believes he can win) arising from this. If you're afraid of that risk, why do these questionable actions? (From how it seems, he stands a chance of winning and a chance of losing as he has breached the EULA though that seems to be handled on a case by case basis)

Finally, I hate guys like these, forcing Sony to work on security patches rather than updates. Thanks for partially wrecking it for those of us who use the system the way it was intended to be used, idiots.

More
13 years 4 months ago #29448 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
black_magnolia wrote:

I've been working part-time in tourism for years and had to answer questions like \"when was the last time you were bombed?\" from a English man that was under the impression that we were still in the middle of the Yugoslavian wars... My thoughts were why are you here in the first place if you think we are still at war, but oh, well, what can I do about it...

Funny, my economics teacher went on to say that her family's pretty cheap and that as soon as something bad happens in a tourist-y area, they all rush to buy plane tickets because prices will plummet and the area is probably going to be the most safe it ever has been due to extra safety precautions. She said her brother bought a ticket to New York the day after the 9/11 bombings because the prices were rock-bottom, so hey, cheap holidays for places which get bad news! Egypt is looking pretty good at the moment with those shark attacks.

More
13 years 4 months ago #29453 by nwbevk
Replied by nwbevk on topic Re: What's in the news?
Three more bird death locations, Kentucky, I think Tennessee and somewhere in Europe, Switzerland maybe? Was on the tv at the clinic this morning. Aprox 100 in a group on the side of the road. All they said for cause is blunt force again, which could have been caused when they hit the ground.

Sometimes it's the media, sometimes it's just sheltered people that really don't know any better. Kinda like when people that have been in big cities all their lives decide to come to the middle of nowhere for vacation and are shocked we're not as primitive as expected. Or the other way around also, \"what? there's no starbucks here??\" Though then there's the intellegent people that hear the police have a house surrounded just down the street and someone's hiding inside with a gun, so they walk down with their coffee to watch. *sigh*

For Kuroboshis' headline, yeah, definatly sounds like a hypocrite. Doesn't approve of the act, is supposedly afraid of the trouble they'd get in, but does it anyway. And ofcorse finds a way to make life for everyone else just a little more annoying.

More
13 years 4 months ago #29462 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

Funny, my economics teacher went on to say that her family's pretty cheap and that as soon as something bad happens in a tourist-y area, they all rush to buy plane tickets because prices will plummet and the area is probably going to be the most safe it ever has been due to extra safety precautions. She said her brother bought a ticket to New York the day after the 9/11 bombings because the prices were rock-bottom, so hey, cheap holidays for places which get bad news! Egypt is looking pretty good at the moment with those shark attacks.

That's an obvious fact, I would also go in such a situation if I had money and free time to spare. But I'm sure nobody would have gone to Afghanistan when they just started the war, and mind you Afghanistan has (or at least it had - don't know what may have been destroyed) quite a number of historical sights that are worth visiting... The problem with war is that you can't easily enter a country and walk around sightseeing...

Regarding Kuroboshi's news, I agree with nwbevk, definitely a hypocrite.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds