Show Navigation Menu

Crafts and handmade items.

More
14 years 2 days ago #19521 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Crafts and handmade items.
:P My mother taught me to knit when I was a very small child..I've long since forgotten how to start knitting on my own. I can get going once the beginning ties have been made..

Oh..But it doesn't mean I can knit much useful stuff. I've only ever made scarves for teddies.

My mother had a jewellery phase too - I recall making bracelets on holiday. They came out quite pretty, but I'm just not a bracelet-wearer, so I put it around a toy's neck and it became a pretty collar instead.

I also found out that my auntie knows how to take measurements/make clothes from scratch, so I might learn how to do that this summer when I go over to the US. ^.^ Looking forward to it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 days ago - 14 years 2 days ago #19534 by Morgana
My sewing machine is a Singer as well. It was my grandmother's, and I think she bought it in 1977. I'm thinking of getting a new one though, since this one isn't working so well anymore. Something came apart in the bottom section, where the bobbin goes, a few years ago. I had it fixed, and it does work most of the time, but it seems to jam up quite a bit.

I agree, if someone gave me a refresher on how to knit, I'm sure I'd pick it up again in no time.
Last edit: 14 years 2 days ago by Morgana.

More
14 years 2 days ago #19538 by SkieShauphen
I'm really good at repairing small trinkets as well as carving. I don't really get the chance to sit down and do it anymore but I will some day hopefully.

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 2 days ago #19577 by scootiebee
My sewing machine is only about 5 or 6 years old. I love it, though. Singer IZEK that runs stitch patterns off a game boy! Fun.

My mom still has my grandmother's treadle machine, which belonged to HER mother! It is really hard to push the treadle, since it is cast iron! It is a Singer machine, but I don't remember much more about it. Like I said, my mom has it, and she is 1100 miles away, so I don't get to see it very often. I will check it out next time I am down for a visit. I know for sure that the belt needs to be replaced on it.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 days ago #19585 by iHauntTheSepulchre
SkieShauphen wrote:

I'm really good at repairing small trinkets as well as carving. I don't really get the chance to sit down and do it anymore but I will some day hopefully.

What sort of things do you carve?

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 6 months ago #26082 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Crafts and handmade items.
Regarding crafts -

Has anyone had any experience with magpie feathers? Or just feathers in general?

I want to start experimenting with making feather wings..Starting small and making bigger and bigger ones..I found magpie feathers are pretty and easy to get hold of as they're used for fishing (and are oh-so pretty), but they don't come clean.

:huh: Anyone know how to clean wild bird feathers without completely ruining them?

And - Does anyone here have experience with making feather wings?

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds