Show Navigation Menu

Crafts and handmade items.

More
14 years 6 days ago - 14 years 6 days ago #19349 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Do any of my fellow AlGoth members do any sorts of crafts? I myself do woodworking similar to that of the Aborigines and I also do embroidery as well as arts in general (I love mucking around with different mediums!)

So how about you? Do you prefer to but items that are handmade? Or do you like making them yourself?
This is the cloak I sewed earlier this year:

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 6 days ago by iHauntTheSepulchre.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 days ago #19357 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Crafts and handmade items.
I'm not too much of a fan of handmade items unless they're made by someone very experienced. My corsets were all handmade by others.

Personally, I like making things myself, provided that they turn out the way I hoped! It's just the creativity that I love..I really want to be able to make clothes that look professionally made..For a long while, I've just kept a little personal collection of clothes which I like the designs of, just to give me ideas when I'm drawing. I'd want to maybe turn my drawings into real outfits. One day. When I have the time.

More
14 years 5 days ago - 14 years 5 days ago #19365 by Morgana
Your cloak looks lovely, I especially like the vibrant purple colour.

I can sew a little bit. I wouldn't try to make clothes, although I can mend things if necessary. I've either made or altered every set of curtains in my house though, as well as a few other sewing projects... a skirt for a dressing table, duvet cover, etc. I also used to do cross-stitch, which is a type of embroidery, years ago.

I'm probably not the most creative person in the world, but I think I have a pretty good eye for decorating. I've come up with some pretty strange DIY projects around the house, but I've also gotten a lot of compliments.
Last edit: 14 years 5 days ago by Morgana.

More
14 years 5 days ago - 14 years 5 days ago #19370 by black_magnolia
I'm fairly good with everything I get my hands to. I can sew, but not cloths or more difficult things. I plan on going to a sewing course to learn how to sew real cloths that people can wear. I used to sew cloths for my dolls when I was a kid, but I can't sew something that I could wear. :silly:
I've done some jewellery out of different materials, but haven't done anything jewellery-wise in ages...
Here is a necklace I made, it's a rose made out of caoutchouc. They sell these caoutchouc masses in most hobby stores, in all kinds of colours. You form it in any way you want and put it in the owen to dry, then it's solid and you can't form it anymore. The rose has two holes on the other side so the cord can go through and the two balls are like stoppers. I basically tye a knot under the rose and leave the balls to dangle under it.

sorry for the bad quality of the photos, my phone can't do better with the lightning in my room...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 5 days ago by black_magnolia.

More
14 years 5 days ago #19387 by scootiebee
I can sew too, but I don't have the patience or the money to buy fabric. :( But I like to alter clothes to make them more interesting, like better buttons, or corseting added to the back of a coat, or adding ribbon, lace, or beading to something.

I can crochet anything, though. Just need the time and money for yarn. I saw a great pair of crocheted fingerless gloves the other day, and I can't wait to try to make a pair. Next time I am out, I am getting some yarn to try it with. It looked like an easy pattern, so hopefully I can manage it. I will let you know.

But I have crocheted everything from scarves, blankets, and hats to socks and sweaters and jackets. I can make anything with yarn, but I prefer blankets. It is very meditative to just keep repeating the same pattern over and over and over and over and over again for several weeks while I finish a blanket.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 5 days ago #19388 by cemwerewolf
I've gotten into making jewellry again recently (used to do it when I was much younger) and so far have a collection of four necklaces that I intend to sell at the forthcoming pagan fest. Hopefully by fest time I'll have at least twice as many ready.

Other than that, I can sew well enough to mend things but not well enough to make things from scratch. Sewing machines and I just don't get along. And I do some painting.

I tend to prefer things that are hand made. They always seem to have that extra something about them. I guess you could call it a depth of character . . .

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds