Show Navigation Menu

worst fears

More
14 years 2 months ago #15374 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:worst fears
I'm scared of the dentist, even more so than most people. But I'm going to have to give in and go see them soon, I think... have a bit of a sensitive tooth lately, that doesn't seem to be getting better.

Luckily, their office is in a mall, and right next to a liquor store. Easy stop for a reward, if I actually survive the appointment...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15395 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:worst fears
I don't like the dentist either, but as a kid, every time we had to go to the dentist, my mom took us for ice cream after. I don't get that one, all that sugar after having your teeth cleaned! But it worked, we actually looked forward to it. I use a similar trick on my daughter. After the dentist, we go to the general store and she can pick any candy she wants. It is an old-fashioned store with all the glass jars of candy along the wall, so it is a novelty.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15418 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:worst fears
:P Hah! When I was little, the dentist scared the poop out of me. I had to really be dragged to get into his chair and be given a lot of stickers afterwards.

I was originally meant to get braces (not sure if they're called that in the US) but I ran away from my orthodontist on the day and therefore never got them. My dentist later said that my teeth had corrected themselves anyway, so there was no longer a need to get them. My teeth aren't perfectly straight, but it's close.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15427 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:worst fears
I never got treats after a dentist visit when I was a kid. Now, I'm always tempted to go to the liquor store first, but they'd probably just send me home to sober up.

One of my brothers used to tell me horror stories, like that they'd pull all my teeth out with rusty pliers... no wonder I was terrifed! I actually bit my dentist once when I was about 7 or 8... kind of \"I'll hurt you before you hurt me\" type of thing. One of my sisters is so scared as well, that she gets her husband to take their kids to the dentist, so that she won't pass on her fears to them.

Oh, and braces are called that in Canada/US as well, Envy

More
14 years 2 months ago #15432 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:worst fears
I had braces, but only for about a year. My sister had them for 3 years. Ugh. I think my daughter will get lucky, she has my husband's teeth. He never needed braces, and she will only need them on the top teeth for a very short time. Most of her teeth are straight, but for two that need to be fixed. Hopefully she won't need them long...I dread paying for them! :)

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15451 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:worst fears
scootiebee wrote:

I had braces, but only for about a year. My sister had them for 3 years. Ugh. I think my daughter will get lucky, she has my husband's teeth. He never needed braces, and she will only need them on the top teeth for a very short time. Most of her teeth are straight, but for two that need to be fixed. Hopefully she won't need them long...I dread paying for them! :)

I think if I got them now, they'd still be free on the NHS..But I don't think I could bear to have a mouth full of metal as I'm self-conscious and I wear glasses as it is! Braces would complete the Nerd look for me. :woohoo:

The dentists here have stickers especially for kids who visit them..They're big stickers with cartoon characters on, like Tom & Jerry or the Flintstone kids, and they have cheesy slogans on that are linked to being brave and visiting the dentist. :P I had so many that I covered most of my childhood stuff with them, haha. He had to keep giving me them until I was a teen or so, because it was the only way I would walk in and out peacefully.

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds