Show Navigation Menu

Unknown objects ...

More
14 years 2 months ago #15736 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Unknown objects ...
Morgana wrote:

I think the Harry Potter books were changed slightly for publication in the US. \"Jumper\" was changed to \"sweater\", \"Mum\" to \"Mom\", etc. My cousin from the US was looking for the books when she was here in Canada to visit, because she wanted the correct versions.

I know that \"bog roll\" is \"toilet paper\", but only because I watch a lot of Brit-coms, as well as Coronation Street. I don't think too many people in Canada would know.

I'm from Canada and I know a lot of the British terms! But then, I was brought up on a steady diet of Brit-coms. :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #15765 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Unknown objects ...
scootiebee wrote:

My favorite fries: Thrashers on the Boardwalk in Rehoboth, Deleware, served only with salt and vinegar:

Waah..*Mouth waters* They look good. Hungry now. Though I'd just have them with salt and tomato sauce.

My brother and I were in hysterics once, because a gamer we met online didn't understand what a bog roll was, nor 'being on the bog'. Toilet humour. :P Aha.

Seem to remember you say..Truck..Whilst we say lorry..As well. I'm really picky about when American online gamers say they speak English..Because they don't really..They speak American-English. There's too many differences in words and terms to call it English.

I refuse to even say my boyfriend speaks English. He's from Scotland and *whoa* they have a lot of Scot words. Instead of 'know', he says 'ken'..And he'll say 'dinnae' and 'cannae' etc. It's really not English as a few words have mutated into Scot-versions, but not as drastic as the differences between English and American-English.

We're not generally subject to American TV over here..Once in a while you'll find an American reality show..Some soaps..Some movies..Or just cartoons etc. The majority of my knowledge is just from gaming online so much.

Edit: Just remembered..I heard a rumour that J.K. Rowling was being sued for copying an idea from an author who came up with it a long, long time ago. :P Not sure if it's true though, but it is strange how she went from a poor, single mother (who I think was on social security benefits) to a millionaire.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Envy.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15768 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Unknown objects ...
Thrashers doesn't offer tomato sauce (or Ketchup, as we say). And yes, we have trucks, not lorries. And when we have a flat to let, we actually have an \"apartment for rent.\"

I know a lot of British words from watching BBC America (Gotta love Dr. Who and Torchwood, and Demons, and everything else they show), and from millions of hours watching Monty Python. And I thought that more American shows were shown in Europe. Our exchange student from Sweden we hosted about 8 years ago was familiar with a lot of American shows.

J.K. Rowling's \"lawsuit\" boils down to a few relatives of a failed author from many years ago who published a REALLY bad childrens picture book with no discernible plot. I saw it online. His relatives are claiming that Rowling stole his ideas, which were basically the use of magic and a few other extremely broad ideas that are in thousands of books. I am sure it will be thrown out of court just based on the fact that the book was only ever self-published, meaning the author basically paid a printing company to make the book, and he never actually sold it anywhere. It was extremely lame.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15784 by Envy
scootiebee wrote:

Thrashers doesn't offer tomato sauce (or Ketchup, as we say). And yes, we have trucks, not lorries. And when we have a flat to let, we actually have an \"apartment for rent.\"

I know a lot of British words from watching BBC America (Gotta love Dr. Who and Torchwood, and Demons, and everything else they show), and from millions of hours watching Monty Python. And I thought that more American shows were shown in Europe. Our exchange student from Sweden we hosted about 8 years ago was familiar with a lot of American shows.

J.K. Rowling's \"lawsuit\" boils down to a few relatives of a failed author from many years ago who published a REALLY bad childrens picture book with no discernible plot. I saw it online. His relatives are claiming that Rowling stole his ideas, which were basically the use of magic and a few other extremely broad ideas that are in thousands of books. I am sure it will be thrown out of court just based on the fact that the book was only ever self-published, meaning the author basically paid a printing company to make the book, and he never actually sold it anywhere. It was extremely lame.

Aah so it's just an excuse for some people to try and get in on some of her earnings then..

I couldn't imagine eating chips without tomato sauce! But yet again, I go quite overboard with it and I have to eat most things with tomato sauce..

What kind of American shows are popular? Just wondering whether I've heard of any..I know of some soaps but that's it.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #15800 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Unknown objects ...
Some of my favorite shows:
Lost (about a plane crash on a mysterious island)
CSI (about crime scene investigators, they also have CSI: Miami and CSI: New York)
Amazing Race (teams race around the world to win the grand prize $1 million USD!)
Leverage (about a bunch of thieves who decide to use the skills to help people who have been wronged by corporations, the mob, or other groups. A lot of fun!)
Burn Notice (about a spy who gets kicked out of the CIA and he uses his skills to help people, while trying to find the people who framed him and got him thrown out of the CIA, also a lot of fun)
All the Law and Order shows (courtroom/police dramas)
The Mentalist (about a fake psychic who uses his skills for the police in California in order to find the man who murdered his family, and working other cases, as well)
NCIS (which I think is the #1 show right now here, about the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, basically military police. They just got another show, called NCIS: LA, which is also good)
The Closer (main star is Kyra Sedgwick, Kevin Bacon's wife, and she plays a police chief in L.A., and she is very good at getting the guilty to confess in tricky ways)

Plus all the reality shows, which I don't really watch much, except for the Amazing Race. I love that show.

I know there are others, but I don't feel like turning the tv on to check the TiVO to see what I have yet to watch. I am about 2 weeks behind at the moment. We record everything on the TiVO and watch it when we can. Have you heard of any of these? I know our Swedish friend says they are a year or two behind on showing some of the shows there, but basically they have some of them running there).

Nothing to see here, move along folks.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by scootiebee.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15830 by Envy
Ooh..I've only heard of 'Lost' and 'CSI' out of all of those!

I do watch 'Friends' everyday though..But everyone does. :woohoo:

..And..What on Earth is TiVO?? It's like a huge joke here..No one actually knows what it is.

..Darn forums keep giving me the '404 page not found'.

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds