Show Navigation Menu

Unknown objects ...

More
14 years 2 months ago #15575 by Thurysaz
Unknown objects ... was created by Thurysaz
Bonjour à tous,

Following an article missed ...

I had written something about objects that we see everywhere in Belgium, but nobody here knew what I was talking ... It's very annoying ...
So ...

Is your home there are also popular items so you think they are found everywhere in the world?

Mes hommages.

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15576 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Unknown objects ...
Hmm I don't know, but in my city, there's a lot of slang used that many outsiders don't understand, for example, 'mardy' means 'grumpy' and we say 'cob' instead of 'bread roll'..

More
14 years 2 months ago #15589 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Unknown objects ...
I know there are a lot of American slang terms and items that people are familiar with around the world because they are used in TV, movies, etc. Then again, I don't know how much is changed if the tv and movies are dubbed in foreign languages, but if they are subtitled with the original sound track, you probably have heard a lot of the American slang that would otherwise seem obscure. I can't think of anything specific, but I will think about it some more...

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #15599 by black_magnolia
Thurysaz wrote:

Bonjour à tous,

Following an article missed ...

I had written something about objects that we see everywhere in Belgium, but nobody here knew what I was talking ... It's very annoying ...
So ...

Is your home there are also popular items so you think they are found everywhere in the world?

Mes hommages.

T.

We didn't know about what you were talking because you explained it in a \"Me Tarzan, you Jane\" fashion, ergo terrible English and that's also the reason we asked you to clarify yourself. It's also annoying to us to read such broken English and then to write a 'right' reply to that.

On the topic of popular items in this thread: no, none such items here that I think are popular also in the rest of the world.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15609 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Unknown objects ...
scootiebee wrote:

I know there are a lot of American slang terms and items that people are familiar with around the world because they are used in TV, movies, etc. Then again, I don't know how much is changed if the tv and movies are dubbed in foreign languages, but if they are subtitled with the original sound track, you probably have heard a lot of the American slang that would otherwise seem obscure. I can't think of anything specific, but I will think about it some more...

:P I was pretty confused when my American auntie started talking about zucchinis and egg-plants or something. I *think* they're courgettes and aubergines in UK English..

My teacher was ranting off about American slang being incorporated into English-English not too long ago. I think it was something about 'pay-slips'..Because that's American..Or maybe I have it the other way around. :woohoo: It just shows how much it's integrated itself into our English.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15624 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Unknown objects ...
When my husband and I were in England, we went to a McDonalds, because it was the only thing open at the time. He asked for a Big Mac, and asked them to \"hold the mayo\", which meant that he did not want mayo on the burger. The girl at the counter gave him a really weird look, and obviously had no idea what he wanted, but he managed to explain himself eventually.

I know there are expressions we use in this area that are not common even in the rest of Canada. I'm sure there are things here that people elsewhere in the world wouldn't have heard of as well. It's hard to think of anything though, because it all seems normal to me. I guess you'd notice though, if you had someone visiting from another country.

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds