Show Navigation Menu

Postures \"dragon\" from China ...

More
14 years 2 months ago #15973 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Postures
scootiebee wrote:

They are actually trying to pass laws that control the costs of textbooks so that students won't be denied an education because they don't have the money for the books.

I wish they had that here!

Over here, college students get 'Educational Maintenance Allowance' or something..Which is 30 GBP a week and you get a 100 GBP Christmas bonus etc..

I don't qualify for it because my parents earn too much or something..But the thing is, I would really appreciate that kind of money for books..The students that do qualify for it don't spend it on books. They spend it on drugs and drink generally..And only turn up to college to get registered for the day so they can get their EMA.

I used to be part of a gifted and talented organisation as well..The government funded that, so we had subsidised residential undergraduate university courses that ran through the summer and were available for you to sign up and pay a little towards it..The government later decided that they didn't want to pay for its provision anymore, so we don't have that opportunity now.

The new gifted and talented organisation just has day-courses which you have to pay fully for..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #15991 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Postures
Well, there are no government universities or colleges here. Everything is either privately run, or run by each state. Even if you go to a state college or university, it is still at least $15,000 USD a year, and that is JUST tuition. Everything else is extra, like lab fees, books, dorm room, food, etc. If you want to go to a top university, it can be more than $30,000 USD a year!!! There are loan programs, and some scholarship funds, but most people have to pay for their education.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago #16041 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Postures
scootiebee wrote:

Well, there are no government universities or colleges here. Everything is either privately run, or run by each state. Even if you go to a state college or university, it is still at least $15,000 USD a year, and that is JUST tuition. Everything else is extra, like lab fees, books, dorm room, food, etc. If you want to go to a top university, it can be more than $30,000 USD a year!!! There are loan programs, and some scholarship funds, but most people have to pay for their education.

Ah it wasn't a government university, it was just a range of government-subsidised undergraduate courses that were offered as a 'summer school' type thing for G+T kids.

Most in the UK average 20k-30k debt by the time they get out of uni..They've predicted for it to rise to 45k by the time I'm in uni. >.< Fun times.

More
14 years 2 months ago #16058 by black_magnolia
I'm thinking about locking this thread or merging it with the other couple of totally offtopic threads that are around... I don't have the energy or the time to sift through all the topics and maybe make special threads for something that maybe won't even gather more momentum. Any suggestions?

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #16087 by scootiebee
Sorry we got so off-topic on this one, but at least it went somewhere. I tend to be off-topic. I apologize.

And now I apologize for the double-posting. I did something weird to my browser, and when I tried to back out of it, it reposted. Sorry again! Ugh. I need a nap.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by scootiebee.

More
14 years 2 months ago #16111 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Postures
scootiebee wrote:

Sorry we got so off-topic on this one, but at least it went somewhere. I tend to be off-topic. I apologize.

And now I apologize for the double-posting. I did something weird to my browser, and when I tried to back out of it, it reposted. Sorry again! Ugh. I need a nap.

You don't have to apologise for the double post as it can happen to anyone. My browser also has it's weird day from time to time.
It's natural to go off-topic as that's how conversations go, but on a forum we try to at least keep the majority in some kind of order... I maybe had to go like in the Catcher in the Rye and scream \"DIGRESSION!\" when you just started it... oh, well, nobodies perfect. :)
I'll leave this topic as it is, because it doesn't really bother anyone (probably only you, Envy and myself read it at all XD) and do some general forum spring cleaning next weekend if I get some time... Too tired now from all the studying to do some major re-reading and sorting out of threads. :(

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds