Show Navigation Menu

Miracle in Haiti

More
14 years 3 months ago #13925 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:Miracle in Haiti
I still have to read an article on the subject, as I wasn't paying any attention to the news in the last month or so.

The human mind is very interesting at times, and some will survive anything just for life, or their loved ones. Or sometimes their just lucky - one swedish guy, I believe, was pulled out a few days after, and he survived because he had candy and coke (or something, they didn't really tell) next to him when it happened.

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13929 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Miracle in Haiti
There was a baby found alive as well. She was about a week or so old when it happened, and spent about another week buried in the rubble, if I remember correctly. That one would have to be luck, as opposed to willpower.

I find earthquakes terrifying. There were a few very small ones in the 10 years I lived in BC. No damage done, but it was a very unsettling experience. Once we decided to move, I was paranoid that \"the big one\" would hit just before we were due to leave, but luckily that didn't happen.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13956 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Miracle in Haiti
I can't imagine what a big earthquake would be like. I have only ever been in a small one. It was about 3.0 on the Richter scale, and I was in a ladies' room at the time it hit. How odd it was! Just glad that it was so small as to do no damage, and that I didn't have to be rescued from such an embarrassing situation! :)

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13959 by knumpcy
Replied by knumpcy on topic Re:Miracle in Haiti
scootiebee wrote:

I can't imagine what a big earthquake would be like. I have only ever been in a small one. It was about 3.0 on the Richter scale, and I was in a ladies' room at the time it hit. How odd it was! Just glad that it was so small as to do no damage, and that I didn't have to be rescued from such an embarrassing situation! :)

Amazing story of the Haitian girl...though scootiebee I almost lost my composure on you post... ;)

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity

More
14 years 3 months ago #13985 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Miracle in Haiti
Thurysaz wrote:

Bonjour sister Envy,

if you prefer we can mention:

the miracle of the human mind?
his desire \"will\" to live ...

Mes hommages.

T.

Merci, mon frère Thurysaz. (I have no idea if that's good French or not, but I tried!) :)

I would much prefer talking about the miracle of the human mind! This I agree with wholly. ^.^ The human mind is a true superpower.

I was caught up in a few earthquakes before..'Little' ones apparently, but I sure felt them! I was very confused lying in bed wondering why it sounded and felt like thunder all around me at 3am..I tried to cover my ears with my duvets but the noise and movement wouldn't go away. It was strong enough to shift me all directions on my bed and knock the things off of the top of my wardrobe.

The other earthquake I recall was when I was very little and sorting piano books out with my cousin on the floor of her house..I insisted it was an earthquake and she insisted it was just a truck passing by...But I was correct. :P

More
14 years 3 months ago #13991 by Bpagemom
Replied by Bpagemom on topic Re:Miracle in Haiti
To be honest, I am torn about how I feel about this hole thing. If I had to express my initial reaction? It's true sadness. So many people, including children and babies are being found, still alive. Everyone is considering this a huge miracle. I see a very sad undertone that people are just not seeing, despite it's blessings in this situation.

Haiti is the poorest country of the Western Hemisphere. They are used to going without, and the fact that so many people are surviving for so long without nourishment or even water? It says a lot to me. It says that they go without so much in their everyday lives that they can survive without in this manner. This saddens me beyond belief that they have endured such harshness their whole lives, then to have to be subjected to this.

However, I then look at it this way... without that burden of poverty, they probably wouldn't have lasted through this tragedy. I can not say that so many people would survive would they be from America or a number of other countries. We can see that when looking back at other tragedies in our own areas. In America, I can't say we'd even still be looking for survivors, to be honest. There? They are searching diligently... and finding them.

The last thought I think about on the matter is this... The entire world is pitching in to help Haiti. Once the relief efforts are done and the rebuilding gets truly underway, I believe, through the generous donations that have been and are being collected, the country will be better off then they were prior to the earthquake. That is another blessing through such a horrible tragedy.

Food for thought.

"You have no power over me"

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds