Moving to another country

• millkins
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Six white russians and a pink pussycat
More
14 years 3 months ago #13479 by millkins
Well, as for Canada we were considering going to Montreal, or Hamilton since we have some cousains there. Then someone mentioned Vancouver and then I got confused. I am a graphic and web designer but my field of interest and proffesion is changing along the way so I guess I can categorize myself easily. Most of my work is made on and for the internet, but I would like to see the other side, where you actually see the product you have made done in your hands :D We have heard that we can live near a city, but still live in a house that has a forest near since (if I understood correctly) there are a lot of lakes and forests and streams on the south of the country and it is not dangerous for the house itself since it is well isolated and maybe a few miles away from the house. Only problem is that we don't know French :S But that can be learnt.

As for US, I have considered Chicago but I don't think we will be going to US, we have narrowed it down to Canada and Australia (each took a pick). I dunno for how long we will be moving for, maybe a few years or so, maybe a lot more.

As for Australia, well honestly I don't have a clue, we have noone there and it would be a shot in the dark, but still, I wanna do this right so I thought I'd ask the residents.

I am very very thankfull everyone, I really am, we need to hear from someone there what how where, just a small navigational info (just a point, go here go there) and we can check it out from here, but as I said, I appretiate info from live human beings, then later check out something on wiki... :) :)

We require info on how is it like out there, are there any special laws, is the climate really what I have read on the net, is the economy stable, if you have lived there have you liked it, (I guess it is futile to ask are the people ok and is it going to be a problem being a newcomer and everything).

If I remember something else I will add.

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13501 by black_magnolia
To put my two cents in. I think Canada sounds the best for you. It can be a very helpful thing to have relatives there that can help you around rather then being on your own and having no connections. I heard good things about Toronto, but further then that I'm no help on Canada... :silly:
Wish you luck with the emigration! :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

• millkins
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 3 months ago #13503 by millkins
Well it probably should but only for the embassy, for their sake we have to have someone but, I am more comftomable being on my own. Thanks for the kind wishes, we just have to decide acctually what part, where how etc

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

More
14 years 3 months ago #13511 by scootiebee
I think you will be fine in Canada without French, since they only really speak it in Quebec province (right?). Vancouver area is a long way from there, and they really only speak English there. It is a beautiful area with a lot of nearby natural mountains, forests, and lakes. They film a lot of tv shows and movies there, so you probably will find it familiar feeling.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13513 by cemwerewolf
Quebec is the only province having French as it's main language but the country is considered bilingual. Then again, I live pretty much smack dab in the middle of the country and only speak a little bit of French. My ignorance has never caused me any problems.

I've only been to Vancouver once though I've been in British Columbia quite often but, I'll do my best to give you an idea of the place. Vancouver I suppose is best described as a thriving metropolis. It is a rather vast city of business and enterprise. Much like Toronto, it is considered to be sort of a technological and industrial hub. The city itself lends itself mostly to the structures of modern life but once you find yourself away from the city you are surrounded by the great benefits of British Columbia. Nature. The province is rich with mountains, forests, rivers and wildlife. The weather is fairly mild with the main source of precipitation being rain. The closer to the coast you get, the more rain you are likely to have.

A bit rambly but I hope it helps. :)

• millkins
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 3 months ago #13534 by millkins
Well yeah I figured as much for the raining problem, since I know it rains a lot in Seattle which is rather close. I am definitely thinking about the surrounding towns of Montreal or Hamilton, but I hear it is rather expensive :(. It could be fun, and still even if I don't need it I think at least one of us should learn French (to avoid as much trouble as possible). Anybody know something about the conditions in that general area?

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds