Show Navigation Menu

A sometimes touchy subject . . .

More
14 years 4 months ago #12183 by cemwerewolf
I've noticed in past posts that a number of the fine folks on this forum are afflicted with or have come into close contact with mental disorders - most commonly depression and bipolar disorder. Well . . . this is something I have been faced with as well in the past few years. It is an ugly thing at times but, through a blessing of good fortune, I have fallen in with a number of people who have made the journey easier.

If I have learned anything it is that the best way to deal with difficult times is to talk about them. To share your woes with a sympathetic ear, find a shoulder to cry on or even to find the vein of humour in a hard situation. It makes the burden lighter.

I offer up this thread as a chance to do such a thing. If I have delved too deep into a very personal subject do not fret. I will not be offended if this entry fades away into the graveyard. But know that my ear, my shoulder and a laugh are available for any who have need of them . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #12193 by millkins
It really is a touchy subject, even though even if some of us have no official explanation of what went wrong in our heads, we know something is going on.

My psychiatrist told me that I will pass on the fears that I was experiencing and gave me a sh** load of meds, well ok, if it's normal why do I have to drink so many pills? In short what happened was that I was working too hard and too much for some \"important\" people and I just snapped, started making idiotic mistakes, shivering the whole time, day or night and talking nonsence. My organism started to deteriorate and a few of my organs started to work in a different way. I still dunno why I haven't quit earlier but got sick and fired at the same time(getting fired was the best thing that could ever happen to me). And still my doc says it normal... and here I go, being....normal :kiss: I had more fun when I was little making fun of psychs and confusing them :blush:

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

More
14 years 4 months ago #12198 by Envy
millkins wrote:

In short what happened was that I was working too hard and too much for some \"important\" people and I just snapped, started making idiotic mistakes, shivering the whole time, day or night and talking nonsence. My organism started to deteriorate and a few of my organs started to work in a different way.

Oh..No one else in my family suffers from depression (currently) apart from me..Which is probably a good thing seeing as most in my family 'don't believe' in depression. However, we are prone to becoming ill due to stress. My father pretty much experienced the same things you described in that quote, it was quite scary. The doctors thought he had diabetes at first, but he was later advised to stop working and 'relax' before he made himself worse.

I don't generally like sharing full stories about my mental state and the results - I have a habit of just sharing parts between people, for example, if all of my friends wrote what they knew and put it together, they would have the full explanation - But alone, they only know aspects of my life. I guess I'd feel too vulnerable having one person know everything about me. It's why I do find it hard to start close relationships.

For me..'Mental illness' came along without me knowing..It was a subtle transfer into a strange state of mind - I didn't understand what I was doing to myself until I was becoming ill due to being underweight and was subsequently dragged to the doctor's by my mother. Apparently I was told to start eating regularly, but I don't recall hearing it from my doctor. It's strange. I just hope my hearing isn't that selective in other aspects of my life.

More
14 years 4 months ago #12202 by millkins
About the selective hearing I think everyone of us hears what he wants to hear so, in a way it's a matter of how you perceive the world and what you expect of it. And I am very sorry for your father envy :( I am relatively fine now so I hope he is too. I can share almost anything (there are some thing you don't want even your bestest friends to know) because the more I talk about it the more I can see where the problem is and sometimes if I don't talk about something I am almost not aware of it, but I guess the story in segments is a good idea too :kiss:
Whatever happened then snuck up on me very quietly, but since my mother works in a mental institution well, you get the rest, I mean I always had a house filled with psychiatrists, neuropsychiatricts etc what can I say it was always fun :angry:

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

More
14 years 4 months ago #12204 by Envy
millkins wrote:

Whatever happened then snuck up on me very quietly, but since my mother works in a mental institution well, you get the rest, I mean I always had a house filled with psychiatrists, neuropsychiatricts etc what can I say it was always fun :angry:

:P I would much rather have a household of people who knew what was going on in the mind, even if vaguely. My family won't be sympathetic if you have things like depression or even physical things like asthma and eczema - They think depression doesn't exist, asthma is 'all in your head' and eczema can be simply stopped by not scratching. Things aren't so simple.

More
14 years 4 months ago #12217 by Daruma
It's super nice. But it goes I have no such problem.

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds