Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Does people tease you because your style of life?

More
13 years 11 months ago #19925 by Serpenvicis
I am just little different of other kids in my school, because I wear black and i listen metal. However they tease me. What about you?

Wanting to be like someone else, we forget who we really are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #19929 by black_magnolia
How old are you dear? Still in elementary or already in high school?
Either way, don't bother with those people. They have their own frustrations and instead of working on themselves they bully others.
I don't get teased because I'm a goth. Strangers may throw me a weird look but no one has ever come to me and insulted me or teased me. Some of my 'normal' friends sometimes comment on my outrageous boots or other attire, but I just have a laugh out of it. :silly:
You must know that if you show those kids that their behaviour is getting to you, they will only have more pleasure from teasing you. Try to remain cool. If they give you \"Why do you wear black?\" then just answear in shock: \"I swear this shirt was pink when I left the house!\". ;) Always stay polite.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 11 months ago #19935 by Polaristhe2

I can honestly not believe what you just said... Social excommunication and it's repercussions don't have an age stamp. And yes, people apparently always have some kind of prejudice. Prejudice is simply a part of a cognitive mind. Which is generally common amongst homo sapiens. If there is a person without a single prejudice, let him or her cast the first stone at me. Really, let it rip.

As to my advice to Serpenvicis, dude. Tease them back. If you say you are a little different from them, why not just socialize. If that is what you want. Quite probably, the teasing won't stop. But at least you won't have such opposition. If on the other hand you don't want to integrate with them, find your own pack. And if you listen to metal you should try to understand the main point. Freedom of speech. You're different? Of course you are. You should be proud of that. Don't let the sheepish stereotypes get the best of you. Fight!

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

More
13 years 11 months ago #19943 by black_magnolia
Polaristhe2 wrote:

I can honestly not believe what you just said... Social excommunication and it's repercussions don't have an age stamp. And yes, people apparently always have some kind of prejudice. Prejudice is simply a part of a cognitive mind. Which is generally common amongst homo sapiens. If there is a person without a single prejudice, let him or her cast the first stone at me. Really, let it rip.

In fact age does make a difference.
Younger kids tend to get more cruel while teasing and the fact being young yourself, therefore not very experienced, makes it even worse to listen to such crap.
Easy for us now to say don't mind them, when we have gone through that and see that it was meaningless but it was still hurtful.
I was teased in elementary because I was the tallest in the whole class, even taller then the boys and naturally I had more weight because I was so tall; the fact that I had good grades and knew a lot wasn't really helpful... Got a lot of teassing for being \"fat\" and a \"geek\".
I didn't speak to anyone about it, tried to ignore the bullies but still it hurt. It would have helped if someone told me I shouldn't mind them and that it will be ok in the end etc., but no one did.
I just went through a couple of miserable years till I got to high-school and there nobody teased me and I saw how trivial those years in elementary were. The same boys that teased me in elementary are now normal and friendly to me when I see them in town.
People change through the years. Even after high-school thing change and are different.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 11 months ago #19952 by Morgana
People still tend to follow the same cliques in adult life as they did in high-school. The only difference is that when you're older, it's a lot easier to find a group that you want to associate with. Also, I think people tend to be a bit more tolerant of minor differences. I've worked with lots of people who I got along fine with in the office, but I doubt we'd have two words to say to each other in a social setting.

Serpenvicis, I hope you can find a good group to hang out with, and try to remember that this won't last forever.

More
13 years 11 months ago #20009 by scootiebee
I didn't get teased until middle school, before high school. But it was horrible. I didn't really fit in, and the other girls were brutal to me. By high school I was okay with it, and the people I went to high school with were just nicer people, I guess, more willing to accept people who were different than average.

Now I am 35, and have, just this past weekend, received such questions as \"Are you in a dance competition?\", \"Are you going to a party?\", \"who or what are you dressed as?\", and \"What are you all dressed up for?\"

I would answer: No, I don't really dance well.

Every day is a party, is it not great to be alive?

I am dressed as myself!

And, I am all dressed up because it is daytime, I put pajamas on at night.

So, you can find humorous answers to teasing or odd remarks, make the other person feel a little silly, and maybe make them think a little (which is always a good thing).

I still would recommend reading \"Gothic Charm School\" by Jillian Venters. Check out her website at Gothic-Charm-School.com. She has a lot of good advice for anyone who dresses out of the norm, including students who are being teased for having ideas, personalities, and plain good taste! Good luck!

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Time to create page: 0.453 seconds