Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Gothing through the seasons

More
13 years 8 months ago #23683 by black_magnolia
Kuroboshi wrote:

My mate said that materials such as satin and velvet (waistcoat) would not go with a cotton tailed jacket. May I get a few opinion here on the matter of a satin/velvet waistcoat underneath a cotton tailed jacket?

Hmmm... Generally I'd say your mate is right, but it comes down to how both the waistcoat and jacket look together. I personally would sooner combine a velvet jacket and a cotton in brocade optic waistcoat then the other way around. Cotton is a very diverse material and can be woven in different qualities and combined also with other textile, so it all depends on how the cotton jacket looks like, maybe it does go with a velvet waistcoat. I assume that 'satin and velvet' waistcoat means that the velvet is the fron part and satin in the back, so that the satin part isn't even visible when you wear the jacket and therfore isn't really the focus of the problem.
It would be easier to give a opinion if we could have a look at the jacket and waistcoat...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
13 years 8 months ago #23695 by Morgana
Thanks for the links... I wasn't entirely sure what you meant by \"waistcoat\" (I would have called that a vest).

I tend to agree with black_magnolia... it all depends on how they look together. Perhaps you could buy the jacket from ebay, and then see if you can find a waistcoat that goes with it? Not sure if you could find one in a local store, but the other links you provided look like online stores, and presumably would take returns if the item isn't to your liking.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23696 by Kuroboshi
Sounds the easiest way with returns. Think I'll try that.

I've checked a few of the stores up town which tend to sell more gothic clothing. Only 1 place (Electric Cabaret) had what I was looking for and the size didn't seem right on me. Unfortunately that was the last one there that I'd consider wearing and it was a real pity since it was about £5 marked down from £15.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23700 by black_magnolia
I think the jacket would go best with the \"Raven\" dagger print waistcoat, but it still depends on how the garments look like in real, but defiantly not the velvet waistcoat because it looks very thick while the jacket looks thin so that wouldn't go together at all...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23731 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Gothing through the seasons
black_magnolia wrote:

I think the jacket would go best with the \"Raven\" dagger print waistcoat, but it still depends on how the garments look like in real, but defiantly not the velvet waistcoat because it looks very thick while the jacket looks thin so that wouldn't go together at all...

Good choice. I preferred the dagger-print waistcoat too.

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds