Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Dia de los Muertos...not another Halloween thread!

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #7586 by janelle hell
In preparation for the upcoming Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos, November 2), I made a bunch of sugar skulls & coffins:

Living in the Southwestern U.S., there have been many DDLM related items in the stores lately:

Santisima Muerte candles!

Cute skeleton shaped breads!

Pan de Muerto, or Bread of the Dead...there's a stylized skull-and-crossbones made of dough atop the bread; I thought the packaging was cute...never seen it commercially packaged before.

Does anyone else celebrate/live in an area where many people celebrate Day of the Dead?
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by janelle hell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #7590 by Highwayman
They look amazing janelle hell id love to munch a couple of them :)

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #7591 by Zenith
those sugar skulls look so yummy!Would have a go at them myself :P In Romania we have a similar local festivity, st. Andrew's night in which the dead are thought to walk the earth.

the thread of life lies severed on the brink of paradise.. .
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Zenith.

More
14 years 5 months ago #7593 by vampirelycanthrope13
Those sugar skulls look real cute :)
In the uk we are aware of the dia de los muertos, but don't really do anything for it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #7598 by CorpseQueen
We don't celebrate anything here in Sweden now... well, not something that has to do with the dead. The shops try to sell Halloween-stuff, but it's mostly hafl-hearted and no one really do anything now. Not for the sake of Halloween anyway, but more for the chance to have a party.

And Dia de los Muertos... much too far away to reach us up here. People don't even try to talk about it. Not that it's anything bad, those skulls looked really cool, it's just a bit too far away B)

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 5 months ago #7618 by janelle hell
Thanks for your kind words : D The sugar skulls are fun to make, kind of like making a sandcastle in that you put the wet sugar into the skull mold & it falls out in a skull shape. They don't taste very good though, they're more for decoration, to put on a DDLM altar for the dead people.

St. Andrew's Night? I've never heard of that; sounds interesting, I'll have to look it up!

No Halloween in Sweden? Oh, that's too bad! *Imagines a childhood without being able to dress up & go trick or treating* It's cool though that they do have some Halloween items for shale in the shops; I always like seeing how holiday celebrations are interpreted differently.

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds