Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

gargoyles

More
14 years 7 months ago #3085 by janelle hell
Replied by janelle hell on topic Re:gargoyles
They're beautiful, in an odd way. But then again, I've always been fascinated with old churches/cathedrals, with both the artowrk on the inside and the outside. Sadly, though, there aren't really any authentic examples of gargoyles where I'm from (western U.S.).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3089 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:gargoyles
It is true that actual gargoyles do have to spout water as they were connected to the guttering on buildings.
In year 9 when I would have been... 14 or 15... we made gargoyles out of clay, except going by Morgana's good point above they would actually have been grotesques. Im not good at art but nonetheless I made Gormy, my gargoyle below. Named after Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake. I think he's too sweet to be a grotesque though...
Attachments:

More
14 years 7 months ago #3091 by Highwayman
Replied by Highwayman on topic Re:gargoyles
Very intresting

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3095 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:gargoyles
Aftermidnight wrote:

It is true that actual gargoyles do have to spout water as they were connected to the guttering on buildings.
In year 9 when I would have been... 14 or 15... we made gargoyles out of clay, except going by Morgana's good point above they would actually have been grotesques. Im not good at art but nonetheless I made Gormy, my gargoyle below. Named after Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake. I think he's too sweet to be a grotesque though...

He is very adorable, especially for a gargoyle/grotesque. Hope you still have him!

And thanks for backing me up on that point... I was pretty sure I hadn't made it up.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3102 by nocturnal-pet
Replied by nocturnal-pet on topic Re:gargoyles
Gargoyles are fascinating.
They are beautiful in their own kinda way.
I remember once reading something about a belief, that claimed gargoyles became \"alive\" during nights. So they could guard the people of their town, when they were in their most vulnerable state: sleeping.
That is a lovely thought, I think. :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #3106 by Daruma
Replied by Daruma on topic Re:gargoyles
I realy love Gargoyles, it's very beautiful and impressive!

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds