Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

gargoyles

More
14 years 7 months ago #3112 by Thurysaz
Replied by Thurysaz on topic Re:gargoyles
Bonsoir Brothers and Sisters members of TOOA,

It really is the masterpiece of gothic religious art for me.
They are so expressive.
I made the decoration of one shop in Belgium and I had carved a few. I loved it!

Mes hommages.

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3114 by knumpcy
Replied by knumpcy on topic Re:gargoyles
I enjoy seeing them, but I haven't looked towards the sky of my downtown area to notice let alone go out during the day much. Though they are brilliant once captured.

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity

More
14 years 7 months ago #3127 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:gargoyles
I love gargoyles! Regrettably there are but a few in my city and you really have to be looking for them. In a way that makes them so much fun because it's much like a gothic game of hide and seek.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3151 by Polaristhe2
Replied by Polaristhe2 on topic Re:gargoyles
Morgana wrote:

I like them as well, I'd like to have a pair to guide my front walkway.

I read somewhere, although I forget exactly where now, that a gargolye has be a water fountain. If there's no water associated with it, it's called a grotesque.

Grotesque would in literal translation mean caveish. or acloveish. (from latin grotto - which means cave)

Grotesque is an style of ornament in art, first appearing in ancient rome, then again in 15th century.

Things pearched up on the Dame are actually called chimera or grotesques. These stone carvings are not born from the general form of a water spout. Used correctly, the term gargoyle refers to mostly eerie figures carved specifically as terminations to spouts which convey water away from the sides of buildings.

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3196 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:gargoyles
Morgana wrote:

Aftermidnight wrote:

It is true that actual gargoyles do have to spout water as they were connected to the guttering on buildings.
In year 9 when I would have been... 14 or 15... we made gargoyles out of clay, except going by Morgana's good point above they would actually have been grotesques. Im not good at art but nonetheless I made Gormy, my gargoyle below. Named after Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake. I think he's too sweet to be a grotesque though...

He is very adorable, especially for a gargoyle/grotesque. Hope you still have him!

And thanks for backing me up on that point... I was pretty sure I hadn't made it up.

Thank you, Gormy will love you forever now. Of course I still have him! He sits on my bookcase and guards my books. And possibly eats small animals at night on his nocturnal adventures.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3201 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:gargoyles
Got a little gargoyle om my nighttable, bought it in Scotland, where it was named demon... Actully not sure if it's demon or not, but it sure is beautiful - maybe the most beautiful piece I got. The fingers are like claws, the face is like a special skeleton-mask, it's all black and sitting, hunched with angelwings spread, on a light brown stone.

The appearence is supposed to scare, and I've asked it to keep all monsters away from me at night. Seems like it's doing its job very well B)

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds