Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Astronomy

More
14 years 3 months ago #13101 by Morgana
Astronomy was created by Morgana
Does anyone here know much about astronomy? Such as any good websites, or books, for beginners? I can pick out a few of the constellations, but I don't really know a lot about the subject. I do love to sit on my deck in the warmer months and watch the sun set and the stars come out though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13139 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Astronomy
Google Earth has a cool feature called google sky or something like that, but you can input your location and it will show you what you can see in the night sky at your location. It is very useful and interesting, since it works just like Google Earth (zooming in and reading about different sky objects). You have to download it, but it is free.

I am going to the Griffith Park Observatory today, so check out their web site (google griffith park observatory in Los Angeles).

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13141 by Daruma
Replied by Daruma on topic Re:Astronomy
I too am interested in a good book on astronomy.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13164 by fastjam06
Replied by fastjam06 on topic Re:Astronomy
Some of the top rated books are Beyond Earth, Space Odyssey, and Night Watch. And for you Iphone users there is an app similar to the google space thing. It will let you know what you can see and at what time from your gps location. It will also let you zoom in to look at things. I can't remember the name of it but it rocks.

Someday you'll understand what posesses me.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13183 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Astronomy
Also a good source is an astronomy magazine website, Sky and Telescope magazine. They list interesting astronomical events that will be happening tonight. And the Griffith Observatory was spectacular yesterday.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 3 months ago #13192 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Astronomy
Great, thanks for the info! I'm more likely to check out the books and magazines, since I could take them outstide with me. But the websites would be useful for winter browsing... will be a few months before I venture outside to star-gaze again.

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds