Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Runes.

More
14 years 3 months ago #10694 by Thurysaz
Runes. was created by Thurysaz
Bonsoir sisters & brothers members of The Order Of Algoth,

Do you know the Runes?

Runes its foremost the Nordic equivalent of the alphabet, but they are also a means of divination and can be used in magic.

Do you believe in their powers?

Mes hommages.

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #10695 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Runes.
I haven't had a chance to work with them, but I have read a little about them. They seem easier and more descriptive than Tarot. Once I feel accomplished enough with the Tarot, I plan to start working on the Runes. I don't know if I want to buy a set that comes with a \"how to\" book or if I just want to buy a book and make my own. From what I've read, making your own runes will make it easier for you to use them i.e. in tune to your energy, familiarity, and the similar.

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 3 months ago #10700 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Runes.
SkieShauphen wrote:

I haven't had a chance to work with them, but I have read a little about them. They seem easier and more descriptive than Tarot. Once I feel accomplished enough with the Tarot, I plan to start working on the Runes. I don't know if I want to buy a set that comes with a \"how to\" book or if I just want to buy a book and make my own. From what I've read, making your own runes will make it easier for you to use them i.e. in tune to your energy, familiarity, and the similar.

I recommend buying a good book (maybe brother Thurysaz can tell you which) and then making your own runes. I agree with your statement above regarding making your own and I think it's cheaper that way because a lot of those box sets can be very expensive and the booklets coming in those boxes are often medicore and a waste of money.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 3 months ago #10723 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Runes.
I do have a set of runes and a basic understanding of their meanigs and use but I am very much a novice at the moment. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to pursue my studies very far. I managed to find a book squirreled away in a corner of the local bookstore that I consider quite helpful for a beginner as it outlines the basics. My runes were actually a gift from a friend of mine when she found out about my interest in them. So I pretty much stumbled into my beginnings.

As for their powers in divination I do believe in them. I have a strong belief in many of the old teachings of the world and especially in those of the Norse. Now if only I could get my butt in gear and start learning more . . .

More
14 years 3 months ago #10767 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Runes.
I've never really had trouble with it. Although, I only tend to consult the divinatory council when I am in need of my future to be revealed. Otherwise, I let time flow normally. I've read that the best medium for runes is oak or willow; oak being for men and willow for women. I found a nice looking set of runes in a store once but I noticed the book that came with it. It was the exact same book a friend of mine inherited from some dead guy. I skimmed through that book once and I noticed a few things wrong with what they were teaching. The biggest error is with the 'blank' rune, mainly the fact that it doesn't exist and they had one in the set for use...grrrr. I hate when people make stuff like that. It doesn't phase me, but someone who doesn't know anything about them will be misguided and that's what I try and fight against.

Meaning comes from within.

More
14 years 3 months ago #10788 by Thurysaz
Replied by Thurysaz on topic Re:Runes.
Bonjour sisters & brothers of TOOA,

Indeed, it is better to manufacture its own Runes. even made carton in debut, if that's all you have on hand.

For literature on the subject the rule is: Forget the books which spoke of 25 Runes!
(because the twenty fifth is included in the other 24)

About books, I recommend: Runelore of Edred Thorsson.
But the must is: Leaves of Yggdrasil by Freya Aswynn.

Mes hommages.

T.

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds