Show Navigation Menu
Media

How do you get your music?

More
12 years 3 months ago #36746 by snow.wulf
Do you download it, or do you buy CD's?

I usually download music to preview it, and if I like it, I'll buy the CD. I do have a very large CD collection (in the 100's), and it takes up a lot of space!

Pros and Cons?

I'm very paranoid when it comes to computers, and the thought of keeping all my music on my computer and then having it crash or get wiped really freaks me out! That's why I like to have all my music on CD. I also like to support the bands that I like by purchasing CDs, but it nice to get music for free :P

After a while CDs really start to take up a lot of space, but I do get a lot of compliments on my CD collection, and it is nice to be able to just pop a CD in my stereo and listen to it.

Just wish all the good bands weren't European! Stupid import fees...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #36752 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: How do you get your music?
I'm exactly the same!

I usually download to give music a try and if I like it I'll buy a CD. I hate digital copies when it comes to anything. It ends up much more pricey this way, but I love having a hard copy of anything I purchase, again, due to fear of computer crashes or something..That and the fact I love feeling like I've actually bought something. :silly:

Paranoia has actually paid off though! When I sync'd my old laptop with my new one, some of my music just got lost in space and never turned up on the other end. I didn't notice it until recently, but I was able to go home and bring all my CDs back with me to remedy this once I found out. :P

Funnily enough - I have a very difficult time importing CDs from the US. :woohoo: Lots of American bands are next to never heard of here - You have to find out through the internet, and even when you know about them, you'll never find their CDs stocked in normal stores..Have to go online and import..

Only the very big and popular bands manage to make a name for themselves in England really, unless you happen to have friends that go to obscure gigs a lot or scour the internet for new music.

More
12 years 3 months ago #36756 by black_magnolia
I'm pretty much the same. Have like near to 200 cd's at home. [Will have to sort through them when I get home and dispose/give away the ones I don't listen to any more as they take up a lot of space (ok, not really that much space as I'm very good with space management) :woohoo:]

In the past I bought most of them at full RRP in local music stores because ordering from abroad over the net wasn't really an option. Nowadays I either buy them at a local second hand music shop or through ebay - and very rarely at that. It's been ages since I bought any music. Will have to get something new sometime soon as I'm pretty bored of the stuff I have, so I'm mostly just listening to the radio lately... :huh:

I don't download it as I'm too lazy and I don't have flat internet (at least here in Zagreb where I live most of the time). If I really want to listen to something and can't buy it I ask my sister to download it for me. Yeah, I really don't have the nerves any more to download stuff myself.

I also agree with you guys about having hard copies. I once had my whole pc wipped out with some 100GB of music. My stupid luck.

I think I don't have to say anything about less known bands and finding them here. I had to ask a friend from Germany, a few years ago, to get me a few albums of Oomph! as I couldn't even get them over the net.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 3 months ago #36762 by firensia
I have loads of CDs. I do buy some music from iTunes but I always end up putting them on an external hard drive or on to a CD just as a back up. I've had my computer crash quite a few times, once I even had to have the hard drive replaced so there's no just I'm going to leave my digital files there without copying them. Also, I prefer buying CDs because I love browsing through the booklet and looking at the artwork. I mostly buy CDs online because like everyone else mentioned, it's hard to find the bands I want in store. My local HMV does stock some metal CDs but it has to be by recognized bands. I read somewhere that major labels will stop production of CDs in 2012. I really hope that's not the case. :( Digital downloading is just not the same.

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #36764 by snow.wulf
firensia wrote:

I read somewhere that major labels will stop production of CDs in 2012. I really hope that's not the case. :( Digital downloading is just not the same.

AGREED! I looked this up after reading your post and cannot find any solid reports of this, so far all I've seen is speculation. But I will be seriously depressed if I cannot buy CD's anymore...especially after spending so much money on my collection!

EDIT: After further reading, I also came across an article saying that CDs will still be made, just not sold in stores. If that's the case, big deal, I buy 99% of my CDs online :P
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by snow.wulf.

More
12 years 3 months ago #36765 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: How do you get your music?
snow.wulf wrote:

firensia wrote:

I read somewhere that major labels will stop production of CDs in 2012. I really hope that's not the case. :( Digital downloading is just not the same.

AGREED! I looked this up after reading your post and cannot find any solid reports of this, so far all I've seen is speculation. But I will be seriously depressed if I cannot buy CD's anymore...especially after spending so much money on my collection!

EDIT: After further reading, I also came across an article saying that CDs will still be made, just not sold in stores. If that's the case, big deal, I buy 99% of my CDs online :P

First I've heard of this!

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds